Leave me or I'll call the police!

astlanda

Estonian maamurre
Hello!

I don't want to offend anybody here, but the phrase may be useful for a wanderer hassled by streetkids or merchands.

So how could I say: "Leave me or I'll call police!".

I'd like to have it in Fus7a and as many amiya as you please.

Thank you for your time.

• Little_LIS

Arabic,Egypt
    Hello,

In fus7a.."دعنى/اتركنى و الا طلبت الشرطة"

da3ny/etrokni wa ella Talabtu el shorTa

In amiya... 2eb3ed 3anny/sebny wa 2ella 7atlob el police.

You can say" la7san 7atlob el..." instead of wa 2ella..."

Hope this helps :)

Josh_

U.S., English
    It is not as forceful (I don't think) as Dr. Susy's suggestions, but I believe you can also say "aballagh il-buliis (police)" in the Egyptian dialect:

ib3ad 3anni/sibni laHsan aballagh (3annak) il-buliis.

This is for singular masculine. Feminine singular would be:

ib3adi 3anni/sibiini laHsan aballagh (3annik) il-buliis.

And the plural (if you were accosted by a group and wanted to tell them all to go away) would be:

ib3adu 3anni/sibuuni laHsan aballagh (3annuku) il-buliis.

Last edited:

Little_LIS

Arabic,Egypt
    but I believe you can also say "aballagh il-buliis (police)"
    Yes, Josh.It's right. :)

However, "7aTlob el buliis" implies an immediate action.

-Let's say, you are trying to get closer to me threatening me with a knife ..I'm going to say " 2b3id 3anny la7san 7aTlob el buliis" (now)

-Another example, I know that X is a dangerous murderer, who is chasing me everywher, I am going to tell X " sibny la7san 7abbala3' 3annak el buliis"

astlanda

Estonian maamurre
    Thanks.

I did not mean calling by phone, but shouting of course.
    How widely is شرطة understood by commoners?
    Where could I use "buliis"?
    اتركنى و الا أَبَلَّغْ البُولِيسَ !
    [itraknii ualla aballag al buliis]

Though I don't think, that threatening a murderer with police is worth the time. :)

Last edited:

Josh_

U.S., English
    Yes, Josh.It's right. :)

However, "7aTlob el buliis" implies an immediate action.

-Let's say, you are trying to get closer to me threatening me with a knife ..I'm going to say " 2b3id 3anny la7san 7aTlob el buliis" (now)

-Another example, I know that X is a dangerous murderer, who is chasing me everywher, I am going to tell X " sibny la7san 7abbala3' 3annak el buliis"
    Yes, thank you for the clarification, Dr. Susy:). That is what I thought. I suppose "aballagh 3annak il-buliis" is more like "I'll report you to the police."

Anyway, I have just thought of another way (one that I have heard many times) to say that phrase, which I believe implies an immediate action -- agib-lak il-buliis. For example:

ib3ad 3anni l-agib-lak il-buliis
    ابعد عني لا أجيب لك البوليس!

Last edited:

Little_LIS

Arabic,Egypt
    I did not mean calling by phone, but shouting of course
    How can the police come by shouting? ;)

How widely is شرطة understood by commoners?
    It's in MSA, but in Ameya I would only say" buliis".

اتركنى و الا أَبَلَّغْ البُولِيسَ !
    [itruknii wa ella aballagh al buliis]

Though I don't think, that threatening a murderer with police is worth the time
    LOL! You are right. Ok, to make it clearer, let's say that this murderer loves me, hehe, of course he won't kill me.
    He's only chasing me everywhere because he needs me.
    In such case, I would try to tell him not to chase me anymore, otherwise I'm going to "abbalagh 3annu el buliis".

Josh,
    ib3ad 3anni l-agib-lak il-buliis
    ابعد عني لا أجيب لك البوليس!
    :thumbsup: Perfect!

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Iraqi: روح لو أجيب الشرطة
    اتركني لو أجيب الشرطة \عوفني \ وخّر عني; it's also possible to say لا in stead of لو.

Jordan: اتركني ولا أجيب لك الشرطة
    ابعد عني ولا أجيب لك الشرطة

Most Arab countries in the East strictly use شرطة in MSA and collequal; I would'nt use بوليس in Iraq, Jordan or GCC countries.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    eb3ed 3anni/sebni laHsan aballagh (3annak) el-boliis.
    [...]
    eb3edi 3anni/sibiini laHsan aballagh (3annek) el-boliis.
    [...]
    eb3edu 3anni/sibuuni laHsan aballagh (3annuku/3anko) el-boliis.
    Very good suggestions, Josh. Note the correction in the vowel of the verb. Other corrections in bold letters are the -seemingly eternal- point of difference in opinions regarding transliteration between me and some of the forum members, so I didn't put them as corrections. :)
    In some places there is a slight chance, that police will come to help you, if you scream loud enough.
    True. And I want to tell you that this sentence, though intended for scaring away those who might hassle you in the street, may not be intimidating at all if there's no police around, so you better just try to avoid those hasslers yourself, give them killer looks or just ignore them. I know what you're talking about, some of my foreign friends have been to unpleasant experiences, but police can only help you if they're around, so ...
    شُكْرًا خَزِيلًا
    Please please don't write خزيلاً but جزيلاً :)

londonmasri

English
    give them killer looks
    This is a very good piece of advice. Understand that these guys are essentially cowards, they want an 'easy ride'.

Let them know from the minute they try anything, that you are no push over. Even if you are 'faking it', it will work wonders and even increase your own confidence.

Good luck and hopefully you wont need any of these statements.

Andrew___

It is not as forceful (I don't think) as Dr. Susy's suggestions, but I believe you can also say "aballagh il-buliis (police)" in the Egyptian dialect:

ib3ad 3anni/sibni laHsan aballagh (3annak) il-buliis.

This is for singular masculine. Feminine singular would be:

ib3adi 3anni/sibiini laHsan aballagh (3annik) il-buliis.

And the plural (if you were accosted by a group and wanted to tell them all to go away) would be:

ib3adu 3anni/sibuuni laHsan aballagh (3annuku) il-buliis.
    May I ask what this word "la7san" means? Cheers.

Josh_

U.S., English
    It means 'lest' or 'or else'. It is actually a combination of la لا and aHsan أحسن, but they are pronounced together since, as you know, words that end and start with the same letter are often ran together, like in Spanish. I believe the various combinations can be used -- لا by itself (see my post #6 above), أحسن by itself, or together as laHsan.

I personally have accustomed myself to saying laHsan most of the time.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >