Leave out to dry

Condessa

Colombia, Español
Hi!
I was watching That metal show, and they had to decide who's better between two musicians. Everybody voted one, and Don voted the other, stating "I'm always left out to dry".

What's the meaning of this expression? I understand he always feels left alone, but what nuance does "out to dry" add? Is it a sense of abandonment or vulnerability? (Like clothing left out to dry: vulnerable to sun, wind, rain, flying cows, etc.)

Thank you!

• wrm1

English, London
    Hi Condessa :)

I would say that it links to clothing being left out to dry, in the sense that the person is vulnerable (like you said) because they're all by themselves/no one cares what they think/they are left, it doesn't matter what happens to them

I had never heard it in any context other than clothes before. I just did a google search and found a forum where a girl talks about how her friends don't care about her feelings, which is where I got those ideas from.

I think in the case of the show, though, it relates to being all alone (rather than having any deep emotional meaning...)

Hope this helps,

Will

wrm1

English, London
    Just found this definition:

When you've been left alone to face a situation - especially a dangerous or unpleasant situation - the people who just abandoned you have hung you out to dry. Also known as "Hung Up to Dry"

Condessa

Colombia, Español
    Thank you, Willrmartin1!
    That's exactly the situation!
    I couldn't translate it into Spanish with the very same sense... In Colombia, we'd say "Me dejaron colgado de la brocha" (something like "They left me hanging from the paintbrush") to express it. I find it so funny.

Thank you so much again!
    Very best.

sheetdisturber

Spanish Uruguay
    Thank you, Willrmartin1!
    That's exactly the situation!
    I couldn't translate it into Spanish with the very same sense... In Colombia, we'd say "Me dejaron colgado de la brocha" (something like "They left me hanging from the paintbrush") to express it. I find it so funny.

Thank you so much again!
    Very best.

Excellent translation: "me dejan siempre colgado de la brocha". They always leave me out to dry! They abandon you in a sticky situation, and leave you to fence for yourself.