leave us a bit on account

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
A : Well, C's gone ! What a tartar ! Still, she did leave us a bit on account - how much was C given?

B : Ten pounds.

A : (With a whistle) Phew ! That's great ! We can pay off the next two months on the car with that.

B : I....I'm afraid we can't.......

A : Why ever not?

Please explain the highlighed parts.

• user_gary

Banned
    India - Hindi
    A and B are husband and wife respectively. A and B used to buy luxury housewares, which they cannot afford, on installments. When `C' (B's Aunt) came to visit `A and B's house, she shocked and disliked the way the A and B live, about (economy). She(C) wondered how they could survive if their (A and B's) expenditures are more than their income. But still she gave 10 pounds to (A and B's family) on B's hand, so that they can at least own one houseware. ..........Remaining .............above

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    A and B are husband and wife respectively. A and B used to buy luxury housewares, which they cannot afford, on installments. When `C' (B's Aunt) came to visit `A and B's house, she shocked and disliked the way the A and B live, about (economy). She(C) wondered how they could survive if their (A and B's) expenditures are more than their income. But still she gave 10 pounds to (A and B's family) on B's hand, so that they can at least own one houseware. ..........Remaining .............above
    If she left it on account it doesn't sound like a gift; more like a sum she placed (on account) with them for the time being: i.e. effectively an interest-free loan.

Gary, I'm worried by this question: how much was C given? Are you sure that is right? because you say in the post I've quoted that she gave them money, not that money was given to her.

user_gary

Banned
    India - Hindi
    Thank you friend.
    I don't understand what you mean.
    Probably, you mean, the 200 pounds/2000 pounds post, that 200 pounds was given for their wedding. This (10 pounds) are additional.

But still I don't understand the (she did leave us a bit on account ).

Trisia

Romanian
    Dear Mr. TT,

That was a typo or some other mistake. It should have been "How much has C given us"... But you already knew that :D.

Gary, I think "leave us a bit on account" is either incomplete or very weird.

She gave us a bit [of money] on account of your being her relative = she gave us some money because you are related
    She gave us a bit on account = like TT said, she gave us the money as a loan OR a twisted way of saying that C gave them the money so they could pay one of their many debts.

Trisia

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    That was a typo or some other mistake. It should have been "How much has C given us"... But you already knew that :D.
    Hello Trisia,

I didn't really know what it should be. That was my problem. It's not just a typo, because not only has has become was (typo) but you've added the us, as far as I can see: has Gary said that the us should have been there?

Trisia

Romanian
    Dear Mr. TT,

Yes, perhaps it wasn't a typo. I admit to having added the "us".:eek:

On the other hand, A and B don't strike me as being too educated (just see the mess they made out of that whole account business :D). Maybe it was a typo and A (presumably, the male) asked "How much has C given?".

< Previous | Next >