leaves the mind that seeks certainty nowhere to rest

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
By expressing "leaves the mind that seeks certainty nowhere to rest", does Batchelor think true agnosticism is exciting and pleasant? When a mind has nowhere to rest, it appears not to be pleasant. Reading the speaker's view, I feel certain bitterness in my heart. :D That is not acceptable to me.

The question of the thread is whether the author tells the reader that "true agnosticism" is a good thing or a joy based on his depiction "an intense perplexity that vibrates through the body and leaves the mind that seeks certainty nowhere to rest."

Thanks in advance

Batchelor described himself as an "agnostic Buddhist." Agnosticism is often denigrated as a passive worldview, the philosophical equivalent of a shrug. But true agnosticism, Batchelor contended, consists of "an intense perplexity that vibrates through the body and leaves the mind that seeks certainty nowhere to rest."

-Sci Am

Source

• grassy

Polish
    By expressing "leaves the mind that seeks certainty nowhere to rest", does Batchelor think true agnosticism is exciting and pleasant?
    I'd interpret it to mean that an agnostic, as understood by Batchelor, is constantly searching for the truth. This can indeed be exciting or pleasant.

The question of the thread is whether the author tells the reader that "true agnosticism" is a good thing or a joy
    Yes, you can argue that. 'Passive agnosticism' is juxtaposed with 'true agnosticism' here.
    Also, it's his worldview and we tend to highly regard our own worldviews, don't we? :)

< Previous | Next >