leaving behind only his mischievous grin!

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
The now-famous Cheshire cat made his debut in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland in 1865. Throughout the story, the cat pops up to carry on silly conversations with Alice, and then he slowly disappears, leaving behind only his mischievous grin! The image has become so well-known, people now say those who wear broad, silly grins "smile like a Cheshire cat."

My confusion is how the cat could leave behind his mischievous grin! Is it a figurative speech that the grin remains in the readers' mind? Thanks.

• Trisia

Romanian
    I'm surprised at you, QD :D (<-- that's my mischievous grin :))

The cat actually disappears - fades away, bit by bit, until only the grin remains. It's in the literal sense, the grin (display of teeth) actually stays behind, and then it fades away too. Remember this is Wonderland, anything can happen :p

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    I'm surprised at you, QD :D (<-- that's my mischievous grin :))

The cat actually disappears - fades away, bit by bit, until only the grin remains. It's in the literal sense, the grin (display of teeth) actually stays behind, and then it fades away too. Remember this is Wonderland, anything can happen :p
    Thanks, Trisia, for the almost give me a heart attact mischievous grin.
    I forgot how the novel describes this scene, but I still recall the cartoon version--the cat actually disappears, bit by bit, until only the grin remains. So, does it refer to the cartoon version?

Trisia

Romanian
    In the book (I took it out to check, it's been quite a while since I read it too), the cat disappears and reappears a couple of times. The third time, Alice complains about it's vanishing so suddenly so the cat fades away slowly, "beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone."

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    In the book (I took it out to check, it's been quite a while since I read it too), the cat disappears and reappears a couple of times. The third time, Alice complains about it's vanishing so suddenly so the cat fades away slowly, "beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone."
    Thanks, Trisia, for your time and first-hand info.
    Now I'm surprised by you--you're really diligent and still keep the novel at (or on/by???) hand.
    I get the whole vivid picture now thanks to you.

Best regards,

QD

< Previous | Next >