leaving the workers to block / blocking

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
The police marched off at midmorning, leaving the workers to block the road into the small industrial park next to a eucalyptus-lined muddy canal that runs past the factory. ---taken from the NYT

Dear all,

Could you tell me whether I can use leaving the workers blocking to substitute for leaving the workers to block without changing the meanign? If not, could you please explain why to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    It's pretty much the same construction as the third Honda plant to face work stoppages.

If you leave them "blocking," then they're already in the way. If you leave them "to block," then that's what they're going to do, but they haven't done it yet.

Natalisha

Russian
    I think that "leaving the workers to block" means that the police left and then the workers blocked the road (in other words they took the opportunity to block it).
    "Leaving the workers blocking" indicates the simultaneity of the two actions, i.e. the workers were blocking the road and the police were leaving at the same time.

P.S. Copyright gave his answer while I was typing mine but it seems that our points of view coincide. :)

Last edited:

LQZ

Mandarin
    It's pretty much the same construction as the third Honda plant to face work stoppages.

If you leave them "blocking," then they're already in the way. If you leave them "to block," then that's what they're going to do, but they haven't done it yet.
    Thanks, Mr. Copyright and Natalisha. I've got it.:)

< Previous | Next >