Leaving vs getting out of a country

srknpower

Turkish
Is there a big difference between saying “I left Ghana.” and “I got out of Ghana” like the difference between “I left the class.” and “I got out of the lesson.”

And is a sentence such as “Get out of Austria happily.” a weird one?

<-----Comment no longer needed has been removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • The Newt

English - US
    "I got out of Ghana" (with no other context) suggests that you escaped, although in some contexts it would be less dramatic ("By the time I got out of the city it was late").

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In your brief examples (no context provided) “get out of” can mean different things. Both have the generral sense of leave/exit. If you were being held prisoner and managed to “get out of jail” that would be one meaning. “We went to the movies and we got out at 10:30 p.m.” That would be a different meaning.

srknpower

Turkish
    "I got out of Ghana" (with no other context) suggests that you escaped, although in some contexts it would be less dramatic ("By the time I got out of the city it was late").
    "got out of" tends to imply "escaped."

Yes.

[cross-posted]
    In your brief examples (no context provided) “get out of” can mean different things. Both have the generral sense of leave/exit. If you were being held prisoner and managed to “get out of jail” that would be one meaning. “We went to the movies and we got out at 10:30 p.m.” That would be a different meaning.
    So I think it is always better to stick to “leave” if I am returning to Turkey from abroad?

sdgraham

USA English
    So I think it is always better to stick to “leave” if I am returning to Turkey from abroad?
    "Always" is a dangerous word where language is concerned.:rolleyes:

If you were a tourist in Puerto Rico, when the hurricane hit earlier this year, it would have been entirely proper to use "get out of" if you had been able to do so.:)

srknpower

Turkish
    "Always" is a dangerous word where language is concerned.:rolleyes:

If you were a tourist in Puerto Rico, when the hurricane hit earlier this year, it would have been entirely proper to use "get out of" if you had been able to do so.:)
    So if eveything was going fine, I would use “leave”? :)

Thank you in advance.

< Previous | Next >