Lebanese: Active Participle

< Previous | Next >

willg

spanish
Hello Everyone:

I'd like to know if there is any rule to recognize if the active participle is being used in the present, past or future:

For example:
Lina rayHa 'a j-jem'a.

This could be translated as
Lina is going to the university (at this very instant)
Lina has gone to the university
Lina is going to the university. (in the near future)

Or should I just rely on the context?

Last edited:
  • clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Hello Everyone:

I'd like to know if there is any rule to recognize if the active participle is being used in the present, past or future:

For example:
    Lina rayHa 'a j-jem'a.

This could be translated as
    Lina is going to the university (at this very instant)
    Lina has gone to the university
    Lina is going to the university. (in the near future)

Or should I just rely on the context?
    Without further context, all this means is "Lina is going to the university (right now)."

willg

spanish
    So as it is, it will mean that she is going right now, and depending on the context it can refer to the past or the future is that right?

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    So as it is, it will mean that she is going right now, and depending on the context it can refer to the past or the future is that right?
    With verbs of motion and translocation, I'm not sure. I had always learned that their participles typically refer to a continuous action, no matter the time. Kaanet raay7a 3a j-jaam3a would mean "She was going to the university" and Ra7 tkuun raay7a would technically mean "She will be going to the University" but to be honest sounds a little awkward to me. I'm not sure if raaye7 can have a "will go" or "has gone" meaning. A native speaker will have to comment.

If I wanted to use the present with future intent, I would say bukra, hiyye bitruu7 3a j-jaam3a the same way I say "Tomorrow, she's going to the university" in English.

If I wanted to say "She has (just) gone to the university" I would say "halla2 raa7et 3a j-jaam3a".

Again, I don't know if I can say "bukra, hiyye raay7a 3a j-jaam3a" to mean "Tomorrow, she's going to ..." and I don't know if I can say "halla2 raay7a 3a j-jam3a" to mean "She has just gone to/left for the university."

In Levantine dialects, you can basically understand three kinds of اسم فاعل:
    1. Translocative verbs (going, coming, walking, leaving, entering, exiting etc.)
    2. Cognitive verbs (thinking, feeling, understanding, knowing etc.)
    3. Most other transitive verbs.

To be fair, this thread topic should be titled "Lebanese: Active Participle of Motion/Translocation Verbs".

willg

spanish
    Thank u so much! That was my other question. Which active participles can work as verbs cause i'm aware that not all of them work this away.

< Previous | Next >