Lebanese Arabic : صرت بلا وعي شي يقلي تعي و شي يقلي ارجعي

< Previous | Next >

gbasfora

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi,

How would you translate the verses below,mainly those red ones ?

صرت بلا وعي
شي يقلي تعي
و شي يقلي ارجعي
الدنيي عرفت شو بنا

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • Linguist777

Arabic
    عالدرب الطويلي وداني الهوى
    بإيدو وميلي تا نمشي سوى
    صرت بلا وعي
    شي يقلي تعي
    و شي يقلي ارجعي
    و الدنيي عرفت شو بنا
    Translation of the lines in bold should be:
    I became abstracted
    Sometimes he says come here
    Other times he says go back
    So we attracted people's attention

analeeh

English - UK
    'I became abstracted' isn't a good translation. Maybe 'I became distracted' or something is better - literally 'I became without awareness/consciousness'. And literally الدنيا عرفت شو بنا is 'the world found out what was wrong with us', though I think maybe 'we attracted people's attention' is an OK non-literal translation.

gbasfora

Portuguese - Brazil
    Thank you Analeeh. In my first attempt I had translated الدنيا عرفت شو بنا into the world found out what there is between us.

analeeh

English - UK
    Ahh, no. This is شو بنا shu bana 'what is wrong with us', not شو اللي بيناتنا 'what there is between us'.

Linguist777

Arabic
    analeeh, you're right, distracted in this context is more idiomatic, although abstracted as a single word seems to have the meaning of "بلا وعي" in this context:
    ab·stract·ed/æbˈstræktəd/adj[more ~; most ~]somewhat formal: not paying attention to what is happening or being said : thinking of other things
    ▪She said hello but she seemed a bit abstracted.
    As to the last line, I felt any literal translation would make the statement too strong. The words "wrong," "affair," etc. all seem to be too direct. And as you said, "between" is irrelevant.

analeeh

English - UK
    I've never encountered 'abstracted' in this meaning, and I don't think it's a word most native speakers would recognise. But I agree that a literal translation of the last line is not very idiomatic (I just wanted to provide it for reference).

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    I've never encountered 'abstracted' in this meaning, and I don't think it's a word most native speakers would recognise.
    'abstracted' with the meaning 'distracted' is entirely new to me as well.

But I agree that a literal translation of the last line is not very idiomatic (I just wanted to provide it for reference).
    What message is the line conveying exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:

analeeh

English - UK
    'The world has found out what's wrong with us' - everybody knows what's going on between us.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I wouldn't say "what's wrong with us" (in this context) but "about us."

"Abstracted" is incomprehensible (to the majority of native speakers), and "distracted" is not the right meaning.

I went berserk;
    Some were telling me "come"
    While others were telling me "go back";
    The world found out about us.

barkoosh

Arabic - Lebanon
    Or it could mean this:

I was then all confused
    A part of me was telling me to come [with him]
    Another part was telling me to go back
    The world has found about us.

barkoosh

Arabic - Lebanon
    بلا وعي means "all confused" in Lebanese? In Palestinian it's about "going berserk" or "losing your mind" (figuratively speaking).
    It's contextual only. I've never heard anyone say صرت بلا وعي in Lebanon.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I've never heard anyone say صرت بلا وعي in Lebanon.
    I don't think I've ever heard that particular sentence in Palestinian either. But we use the phrase بلا وعي very frequently to mean "incredibly," as in الفسطان حلو بلا وعي ("The dress is incredibly nice" or "The dress is crazy nice"). If you ask الفسطان حلو؟ I can rhetorically answer هو حلو بوعي؟ (implication: "It's incredibly nice.").

I extrapolated the meaning of صرت بلا وعي based on those uses, and on the literal meaning ("unconscious"). "Confused" is totally different in my opinion.

< Previous | Next >