Lebanese Arabic: Thank you

Orseas

Malay, Malaysia
Hi and good day to all, a new member here ;)

Well, I read somewhere that the phrase "thank you" in Lebanese dialect is "yislamou" and not "shoukran". Besides, many Lebanese also will likely say "merci" which is obviously French.

Discuss! :)

• SarahBeth

English, USA
    شكرا is most definitely used in Lebanon.

يسلموا اديك is used when someone gives or hands you something from what I understand, like a plate of food or drink and means "may your hands be safe", but is a way of saying thank you. Maybe some others can add a more complete answer as far as the use of يسلموا on its own.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    يسلموا is used exactly like يسلموا إديك so it's just a shorter version of the same.

Your explanation of the use is very good; I'd just like to add that it can also be used (figuratively) anytime someone does something for you, not just when he hands you something.

I'm not Lebanese but we use the expression in Palestinian Arabic and I'd be surprised if usage differend significantly in Lebanon.

alahay

US
    Phoenicia
    Hey,

let me add a few more:

merci, yeslamo, sallemon, yeslamo ideik, yeslamo hal dayyet, teslam, mamnounak, mamnoun shanabetak, shoukran, mashkour, mashkourin...

most common
    less common

salemet,
    Al

firdaus777

English - USA & Arabic (Lebanese)
    Hi Alahay, what does mamnoun shanabetak actually mean, particularly "shanabetak"?

wriight

English (US) / Arabic (Lebanon)
    It's شنباتك shanabētak, where shanabēt is a synonym of شوارب shawēreb "mustache". (Some other dialects use 'singular' شنب.) Then ممنون mamnūn is the passive participle of/an adjective derived from the verb من manna, so alone its original meaning is like "grateful; thankful; indebted", from which it became an interjection meaning "thanks".

The full expression, ممنون شنباتك mamnūn shanabētak -- which, put simply, would mean "thank your mustache" albeit not as an imperative -- definitely strikes me as cutesy rather than as a serious expression of gratitude. You'd use it jokingly with a friend or someone close, but perhaps not as a general "thank you".

firdaus777

English - USA & Arabic (Lebanese)
    Thank you Wriight for explaining that expression so clearly. And of course, Kattir Khairak & mamnūn shanabētak! :)

< Previous | Next >