Lebanese

sundroplets

English-USA
I adore the spoken lebanese arabic, however I have never been able to find any courses teaching it outside of Lebanon.

If anyone can help me find resources I would be most grateful. Also any media links to lebanese media would also be greatly appreciated.

Yislamu,
Rachel

• DaleC

Hmm, interesting: there doesn't seem to be much to choose from. The most recent I could find is Hussein pair from 1993.

Lutfi Hussein. 1993. Levantine Arabic for non-natives : a proficiency-oriented approach: student book. Yale University Press. 117 pp.

____________. Levantine Arabic for non-natives. Teacher's manual : a proficiency-oriented approach. 366 pp.

Then there are two short series from the 1970s. Leslie O'Loughlin and Raja T. Nasr each produced a pair of short textbooks, the respective volumes being at the elementary and intermediate levels.

You could send emails to the American University in Beirut (
    http://wwwlb.aub.edu.lb/~webarab/undergraduate.htm) or Professor Nasr. Nasr presently teaches at Marymount College and has a page at their Web site.

While you wait for other responses at this forum, you could check the Web library catalogs of major world universities. In the US, the subject headings start with arabic language. You can expand this with dialects lebanon. I'd try SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies, a venerable institution indeed), Cambridge and Oxford, and French universites if you read French. If you try French universities, first do some research to find out which universities specialize in Arabic. OHH! That reminds me: in UK, the University of Durham (that's in the "Borders" region) has a big program(me ;)) to train people to translate between Arabic and English. Email them.

sundroplets

English-USA
    thank you so much for these references and ideas. I am not that far from Marymount, so I will definitely reach out to him.

:) Thank you again!
    ~Rachel

DaleC

I'll have something to add the day after Thanksgiving.
    For now, I mention that Dr. Nasr, whose field is really education, hasn't composed an Arabic language textbook in decades, and the pedagogy is not up to date enough. If you've already emailed him, he might be helpful anyway.

haddad

MSA Arabic, Levantine Arabic. Country: Lebanon
    I am Lebanese Christian and born and raised in Lebanon and lived in US. Spoken lebanese is levantine and similar to Syrians. I suggest this site http://syrianarabic.com/

Its functional and free with mp3sand pdfs. Its amazing and you can walk anywhere in lebanon and speak and be understood.

Oh yes, start listening to Lebanese music, it helps :)

Haddad

sundroplets

English-USA
    haddad said:
    I am Lebanese Christian and born and raised in Lebanon and lived in US. Spoken lebanese is levantine and similar to Syrians. I suggest this site http://syrianarabic.com/

Its functional and free with mp3sand pdfs. Its amazing and you can walk anywhere in lebanon and speak and be understood.

Oh yes, start listening to Lebanese music, it helps :)

Haddad
    Thank you for the link, I actually began to use this about a year ago and my Lebanese friends were horrified (strange animosity I guess between Lebanese and Syrians political in nature)
    In fact, I was told to stop studying it immediately by my Lebanese friends, and that if I continued to learn Syrian I would be disowned (haha, how dramatic) they gave me examples of Syrian and Lebanese and they seemed very different, but perhaps this was to convince me to stop learning Syrian.

I also have a book and CDs for Palestinian arabic but was also told that this was too different and not nice to listen to for Lebanese ears. (uffa!)

This is the problem I find with Arabic, too many variants on coloquial forms yet MSA or FusHa isn't spoken. I am constantly being corrected and told that that isn't how you say something it is this way XXXXXXX.

Ugh! It's enough to make someone give up entirely. So that is why I just choose Lebanese because I have spent more time there then any other arabic speaking country. Yet, it seems there are not many resources for one who would like to learn it. :(

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Why don't you choose songs as a way of learning ? Lebanese singers are getting more and more numerous these days, and they sing different styles of songs (so you won't have to worry about listening to something you don't like just to learn the accent) :)
    Also try to look for movies.
    Another Media : TV. I don't know if you can receive Lebanese TV Satellite Channels in the States, but if you do I think they'll help you a lot.
    Many people learn languages via Media. Lebanese is one of the most musical dialects i've ever heard, so I think media productions will help you a lot, and will be easy for you.
    I recommend you to go for this way of learning, at least until you can find some course or class to help.
    Good Luck :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    sundroplets said:
    I also have a book and CDs for Palestinian arabic but was also told that this was too different and not nice to listen to for Lebanese ears. (uffa!)
    What a shame!

Although Syrian and Lebanese are two of the most similar Arabic dialects so if they were critical of Syrian I can imagine that Palestinian wasn't too popular either :) (bearing in mind that Palestinian, too, is relatively similar to Lebanese).

So in reality, if you learn Syrian or Palestinian (or Jordanian) you will be understood perfectly in Lebanon - and it won't sound that different. I'm not trying to discourage you from leaning Lebanese, but you can rest assured that the differences are not as extreme as some may purport.

haddad

MSA Arabic, Levantine Arabic. Country: Lebanon
    I am stunned by your lebanese friends! I am a Christian lebanese and I gew up in Lebanon and the Syrian link which I gave you is an effective way to be heard and understood in Lebanon. There are varying accent but Syrian, Lebanese, Palestinians and Jordanian arabic are similar.

Even in Lebanon theres so many variations, Beiruti? Tripoli? Bekaa?

Lebanese love to say "We Lebanese...." but they forgot they only represent themselves and not the rest. Because in Lebanon? There are so many "We...." haha

The link I gave you is perfect! By the way all Levantine dialects are mostly based on Syria ( damascus) for nuetrality :)

I am sad sometimes by my fellow lebanese attitudes.

Good luck !

Khatrek

Haddad

< Previous | Next >