lectio magistralis

< Previous | Next >

tsoapm

English (England)
Un progetto ambizioso e stimolante che sarà coadiuvato da una serie di lectio magistralis tenute dai designer (della azienda) che, tra ottobre e dicembre 2013, accompagneranno i team nello sviluppo dei loro progetti.
So, I think I have the idea of what a lectio magistralis is, a lecture given by some kind of an expert or authority in recognition of their standing.

What I don’t know is how we say it in English. It’s not a Latinism I ever came across before translating Italian texts, so I’m hesitant to leave it as such, especially as it is repeated many times in my text. Even if I did leave it in Latin, I think that in English (probably Italian too, but that’s not really my business!) it should take the plural, lectiones magistrales, right?

Or maybe there’s an English equivalent that I’m not thinking of, but I don’t think so. Honorary lecture?

Hmm…

• tsoapm

English (England)
    The thought did occur. The project is being run for university students, however, and I thought that perhaps they were intentionally using this term rather than, say, the usual lezioni. So you don’t think it’s worth making a distinction?

tsoapm

English (England)
    Hmm, that’s quite an attractive option, though I’m not quite sure about it. I think with a master class there’s an overlap with workshops, but I imagine that a lectio magistralis would be more formal.

L'Enrico

Italian
    TSo you don’t think it’s worth making a distinction?
    They do make a distinction. "Il progetto [...] sarà coadiuvato da una serie...". That means that students will have their regular classes plus a number of lectures by designers.

Incidentally, "coadiuvato da una serie di lectio magistralis" is poor Italian. It's "coadiuvato da qualcuno" not "da qualcosa".

E.

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    You're right Mark, after better reading the link I posted, I realized that a master class often includes practical, hands-on demonstrations that a lectio magistralis (or a lecture) is not supposed to have, besides being carried out in a more formal setting, as you said.

tsoapm

English (England)
    They do make a distinction. "Il progetto [...] sarà coadiuvato da una serie...". That means that students will have their regular classes plus a number of lectures by designers.
    Actually, the rest of the project isn’t focused on the learning per se: it’s about car sharing, scholarships, work opportunities etc.

Mary49

Italian
    The thought did occur. The project is being run for university students, however, and I thought that perhaps they were intentionally using this term rather than, say, the usual lezioni. So you don’t think it’s worth making a distinction?
    I would use "lectures" and nothing different. This is my humble opinion :) Moreover, I consider a bit "bombastic" the use of "lectio magistralis" referring to designers.

< Previous | Next >