lecture left me cold

quaerereverum

Persian
Hello,

The particular
lecture left me cold and the kids confused. Does the expression '' lecture left me cold'' mean , the lecture was not interesting?

Thank you in advance.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    "Left me cold" usually means that you were unmoved i.e. it usually refers to the passions. I think the use in your example is inappropriate. (although the author is most likely indicating boredom)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "Left me cold" works for me. Although, as Beryl says (post #2), it usually indicates failure to arouse emotionally, I think it can suggest lack of intellectual arousal as well.

quaerereverum

Persian
    You are right Miss Julie.Then it is better to say the lecture bored me to tears, instead of saying the lecture left me cold. Can I say , the professor left me cold, because he never added value to the textbook.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    You are right Miss Julie.Then it is better to say the lecture bored me to tears, instead of saying the lecture left me cold. Can I say , the professor left me cold, because he never added value to the textbook.
    It may not necessarily have been boring...more like disappointing. I think "left me cold" can mean "disappointed me" as well.

< Previous | Next >