Discussion in 'English Only' started by Mykasan, Jun 15, 2009.

  1. Mykasan New Member

    Spanish Spain
    I'm searching for a job in England as a Spanish Teacher, and in almost all the posts I've found, they want a "Lecturer". What does it mean exactly? a teacher who has an university career, a teacher who teaches university pupils, or a spanish assistant??
    I'm so confused! Please help me!

    Non-English text deleted. This is a monolingual forum.>
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  2. stevea Senior Member

    UK English
    In the UK a Lecturer works in a university or similar. Compulsoryeducation in the UK covers the school system where pupils study to age 16. They may then continue into the "sixth form" where they remain another two years at the school. Those providing education in this sector (the school sector) are by and large called teachers. In Higher Education provided at university or college etc (i.e. for those over 18) the general term is lecturer.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. Mykasan New Member

    Spanish Spain
    Thank you for your answer, you have been so helpful for me!
  4. stevea Senior Member

    UK English
    Good luck with your search. I clarified my previous reply but I would also add that the term Lecturer seems to be applied to those who do not teach in schools. This does not mean the all lecturers are teaching university degree courses.
  5. JulianStuart

    JulianStuart Senior Member

    Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    If you are familiar with the university positions in the US, then a person who would be called (Assistant/Associate) Professor in the US would be called Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in UK.
  6. Mykasan New Member

    Spanish Spain
    Thank you for your posts.
    Do you know where can I look for a job as a spanish teacher (to beginners) in United Kingdom?
    I've been looking for it, but I haven't found a job.
    (something like the official web of jobs of UK or whatever)

Share This Page