English base ledger line

Dictionary entry: ledger line
A

Alejandrob81

I would like to suggest a translation in Spanish for this word. This is "línea adicional".

• Thanks for your suggestion! :) I've edited this entry and now the proposed translations for Spanish are línea adicional and línea auxiliar. This change will be visible once our dictionaries are updated in the next months.

I have looked at this entry. The description says:(music: line above or below staff) and the translation is "registro financiero". So, the description does not match the translation.

For the description: (music: line above or below staff), the translation is indeed linea adicional or linea auxiliar but there should also be a translation for "ledger" line" as an entry in the accounting books. This could possibly be "registro financiero", but I doubt it. I think "registro financiero" corresponds with "ledger" in the financial meaning, but a "ledger line" is an entry in that register.

For the description: (music: line above or below staff), the translation is indeed linea adicional or linea auxiliar but there should also be a translation for "ledger" line" as an entry in the accounting books.
    I corrected this a few moments ago in the English-Spanish dictionary. Now the translation reads línea adicional, línea auxiliar. Please notice that changes take some time to be visible on the website. As for adding a sense for accounting, it seems like this entry used to have the sense financial record, but that was changed to the music one (hence the error in the Spanish translation). I will forward this thread to the team that manages the English base dictionary so they evaluate the possibility of restoring the financial record sense.

Thanks. I know that it takes some time before it becomes visible in the dictionary; I just wanted to indicate that in the current entry there was a mismatch between the description and the translation.

Hello,

Thank you for your messages. I can only assume the reason that the definition was changed was because an editor decided we didn't need a compound entry for ledger line meaning a line in a ledger. I'm inclined to agree with that, as it is really just the terms ledger and line being used together. The meaning should be evident from the component parts. If you think it does merit a compound entry, I'd be happy to listen to your reasons.

Back