leech off of me or leech off me

< Previous | Next >

amby

Banned
chinese
I have two questions about ' leech off'. First, is it common expression both in spoken and written English? The second questions is if I should add of or not , such as I am afraid that my boyfriend end up leeching off me or I am afraid that my boyfriend is leeching off of me.

• rhitagawr

British English
    I'd say 'sponge off' is best. '...boyfriend will end up sponging off me...' I can't think of a sentence where 'off of' would be correct.

The usage is colloquial. You wouldn't see it in formal writing.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The Concise OED, the dictionary used by the search box here, has this to say
    usage: The use of off of rather than off in phrases such as she picked it up off of the floor is considered to be incorrect in standard modern English. Interestingly, however, off of is recorded from the 16th century, and was used commonly by Shakespeare.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I do like 'leech off' and have been puzzling why it sounds slightly wrong. I like the dramatic effect of the word, having your income or retirement pension sucked out of you like your life blood by adult kids. 'Sponging off' sounds very tame. A look at the WR dictionary suggests 'leech on' as an alternative. I'll go for that!

As for "off of", whether leeching or sponging - no, absolutely no.

Hermione

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    "Off of" in the first place is a colloquialism, and, to be exact, an AE colloquialism.
    I was surprised however to see it in a textbook for my child when he was in the 1st grade.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    "Off of" in the first way is a colloquialism, and, to be exact, an AE colloquialism.
    And a BrE colloquialism - or to be even more exact, a usage which is common in a range of non-standard varieties of BrE and AmE.

There are lots of previous threads about "off" vs "off of".

PS. See Julian's post 4:).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >