l'effet d'une douche froide

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by hampton.mc, Nov 22, 2010.

1. hampton.mc

hampton.mc Senior Member

France
    French
    I have checked the threads related but none of them really suit my context. I have found "to put a pin in my balloon" but I am not sure :confused:

"Ses mots eurent l'effet d'une douche froide sur Léa."

Context:
    The girl is telling her friend a funny story and she is laughing. She realized that her friend is not responding the way he should. Then he tells her that he is going to leave his girlfriend who happened to be the girl's best friend.

"Well apparently my little story didn’t make you laugh. Is there something wrong?"
    "I met someone Lea. I think I am going to leave Sofia."
    It had the effect of a cold shower on Lea.
    "Just don’t tell me that she is a bimbo in her early 20th and good looking!"

2. Jack-the-hat Senior Member

Surrey
    English - British
    Just some style suggestions, Hampton.mc:

"Well, apparently my little story didn't make you laugh. Is there something wrong?"
    "I have met someone, Lea. I am thinking of leaving Sofia."
    These words took(knocked) the wind right out of Lea's sails.
    "Just don't tell she is a good-looking bimbo in her 20s!"

Alternatives may be:
    pricked her baloon; poured cold water on her mood; dampened her spirits; stopped her in her tracks or (BE) knocked her for six.

3. BAlfson Senior Member

Oklahoma City
    USA - anglais
    This forum has taught me as much about British English as it has about French! :)

In American, a girl disinterested in the amorous attentions of a young man might say, "Go take a cold shower," but I don't think we would use "une douche froide" in the same sense as in French.

I think I'd go for something like "Lea felt as if he'd thrown cold water in her face."

Cheers - Bob

4. hampton.mc

hampton.mc Senior Member

France
    French
    Thank you both for your brilliant ideas.

5. SolangeC

SolangeC Senior Member

Omaha Nebraska USA
    USA - English
    I think this can also mean "put a damper on things", "took the wind out of his/her sails", or "slowed things down", or even just "shocked", depending on the context. It could be a metaphoric "slap in the face" or even "sucker punch". Context, context.

6. WillHelpIfICan Senior Member

Paris
    English - UK
    Loads of similar idioms in English
    His words hit Lea like a bucket (full of) cold water
    Lea felt like/as if a bucket (full of) cold water was poured ...

variants include,
    (splashed) in the face
    poured / splashed all over her body

7. prinjon Senior Member

Near Paris
    French from Paris area
    splash in the face
    slap in the face, if more physical meaning