Left at the top of the elevator

Laudator

Chinese
A simple question:

(Text taken from Mass Effect in-game dialogue)

"Left at the top of the elevator."

Does it mean "When you're at the top of the elevator, go left."?

I saw this type of instructions for the first time, couldn't find the verb, so I'm a little confused...

• Barque

Tamil
    Could you give us more context please? My first reaction was that something had been left at the bottom of the elevator but it could also mean "Go left" as you suggested.

Edit: Sorry, was thinking of an escalator. I'm more used to the word "lift" for elevators.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    You can go left at the top of the stairs, but "at the top of the elevator" is strange. You can't be at the top of the elevator unless you climb out the escape hatch in the roof and then you couldn't go left because you'd be inside the elevator shaft. ;)
    I suspect the original version of this game is not in English and it has been translated poorly.

Laudator

Chinese
    Could you give us more context please? My first reaction was that something had been left at the bottom of the elevator but it could also mean "Go left" as you suggested.
    Sorry, here's the dialogue:
    A:Where can I find the administrator?
    B:His office is on the main level. Left at the top of the elevator.
    A:Understood. Can we go in now?

Laudator

Chinese
    You can go left at the top of the stairs, but "at the top of the elevator" is strange. You can't be at the top of the elevator unless you climb out the escape hatch in the roof and then you couldn't go left because you'd be inside the elevator shaft. ;)
    I suspect the original version of this game is not in English and it has been translated poorly.
    I don't think so, Mass Effect was created by EA games, a US company.

Barque

Tamil
    It's a direction all right but are you sure it isn't "escalator"?

In informal speech, some words can be left out if the sentence will still be understood, like "Go" in this context.

Laudator

Chinese
    It's a direction all right but are you sure it isn't "escalator"?

In informal speech, some words can be left out if the sentence will still be understood, like "Go" in this context.
    It is an elevator, I saw it in the game.

Myridon

English - US
    I don't think so, Mass Effect was created by EA games, a US company.
    EA is the publisher. It's actually made by a Canadian company - BioWare.
    Generally, I would not expect the main level to be at the top of anything. I think you'll have to give us some more context.
    If you've seen it, you know where he goes, don't you?

Laudator

Chinese
    EA is the publisher. It's actually made by a Canadian company - BioWare.
    Generally, I would not expect the main level to be at the top of anything. I think you'll have to give us some more context.
    If you've seen it, you know where he goes, don't you?
    Oh, okay. But I think the rest of the conversation is irrelavant...

< Excessive quotation removed. Cagey, moderator >

I did see it, but I turned left, turned right a little bit, turned left again, walked down a long stairs, turned left again, then there were two doors I needed to pass... Not as straight ahead as "Left at the top of the elevator" suggested...

Last edited by a moderator:

Myridon

English - US
    I did see it, but I turned left, turned right a little bit, turned left again, walked down a long stairs, turned left again, then there were two doors I needed to pass... Not as straight ahead as "Left at the top of the elevator" suggested...
    It seems like they completely redesigned the level after they recorded the script, but they were too lazy to write a new script.

< Previous | Next >