Left remaining

Roymalika

Punjabi
Hello friends

Only ten minutes are left/remaining.

Please tell me which one is correct and what is the difference.

• moonbeams

UK
    English
    Only ten minutes are left :tick:

Only ten minutes are remaining :cross:

There are only ten minutes remaining :tick:

They mean the same thing.

Roymalika

Punjabi
    Well, in what context are you trying to use the original sentences, please? What scenario do you have in mind there?
    Students are in the exam center. It is their American History paper today. It is a three hour paper. Students are doing the paper. In the last ten minutes a student stands up and asks the invigilator, "How much time is left/remaining?". The invigilator says " Only ten minutes are left/remaining ".

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Students are in the exam center. It is their American History paper today. It is a three hour paper. Students are doing the paper. In the last ten minutes a student stands up and asks the invigilator, "How much time is left/remaining?". The invigilator says " Only ten minutes are left/remaining ".
    Thank you. :)

When I was at school, the invigilator would usually say something like "You've only got another ten minutes" or "There are only ten minutes left".

Roymalika

Punjabi
    Thank you. :)

When I was at school, the invigilator would usually say something like "You've only got another ten minutes" or "There are only ten minutes left".
    Thank you. But I do not understand why 'Only ten minutes are remaining' is wrong. What is the grammatical mistake in it?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Thank you. But I do not understand why 'Only ten minutes are remaining' is wrong. What is the grammatical mistake in it?
    It's just that in my opinion that is not an idiomatic use of the continuous tense, and I don't think an BE-speaking invigilator would say it. :(

Roymalika

Punjabi
    Thank you. I want to know what's wrong with "Only ten minutes are remaining" grammatically. Please comment.

heypresto

English - England
    I don't think there is anything grammatically wrong with it. It's just that it doesn't sound at all natural, and it's not what an invigilator is likely to say.

Roymalika

Punjabi
    I don't think there is anything grammatically wrong with it. It's just that it doesn't sound at all natural, and it's not what an invigilator is likely to say.
    :confused:
    Post2 marked this sentence wrong. So that's why I thought whether there was any grammatical error in it.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Maybe it should have been a :thumbsdown: instead of a :cross:.

It's natural to put the verb close to the beginning in that kind of sentence. Saying "There are..." is very idiomatic. Starting a sentence with "only" is not very idiomatic. And "are remaining" doesn't sound natural either.

Roymalika

Punjabi
    We can't, I'm sorry. The forum doesn't work like that. The forum is for questions about particular words in a specific context, not about all the contexts in which an expression might sound natural.
    OK. Thanks. As a British English speaker what would you say in the situation I described instead of "Only ten minutes are remaining"? Can you tell me please?

< Previous | Next >