left the production line

< Previous | Next >

Kurt Jiang

china mandarin chinese
Hi, there

I want to say that some new products are released or finished in the product line, how to say? Can I say like that: a new Minis(a kind of series of BMW) left the production line, or would you give me some other native expression for this ?

Thank you!

Kurt!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, there

I want to say that some new products are released or finished in the product line, how to say? Can I say like that: a new Minis(a kind of series of BMW) left the production line, or would you give me some other native expression for this ?

Thank you!

Kurt!
    Do you mean that a new model of the MINI ("old" Minis are spelled in lower case - the "new" MINI is capitalized, by the way) has just finished being produced or do you mean that the car is no longer being produced at all?

Kurt Jiang

china mandarin chinese
    Do you mean that a new model of the MINI ("old" Minis are spelled in lower case - the "new" MINI is capitalized, by the way) has just finished being produced or do you mean that the car is no longer being produced at all?
    Hi, Dimcl

I mean that the new one has just finished being produced to sell it to the customer. Can I say "a new MINI is off the produce line today to the customers". If the product is still under construction in the product line, can I say like that "a new MINI is still on the product line in thee factory"

Thank you!

Kurt.

gremlin

English only - Canada
    Hi, Dimcl

I mean that the new one has just finished being produced to sell it to the customer. Can I say "a new MINI is off the produce line today to the customers". If the product is still under construction in the product line, can I say like that "a new MINI is still on the product line in thee factory"

Thank you!

Kurt.
    A new MINI is coming off the production line today to the customers.

If you want a native-english speaker's attempt to liven up your report, here goes:

The brand new MINIS are rolling off the production line into the hands of the (our) customer(s).

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, Dimcl

Thank you!

Kurt.
    A "product line" is different from a "production line", Kurt. A "product line" would be a new model. Let's say that BMW decided to jazz up the MINI and make it substantially different from last year's model - that would be a "product line". A "production line" is what you're thinking of.

In this context, you would have to be quite specific and say "The 2008 MINI has just come off the production line" or "The 2008 MINI is still in production and has not been released to retailers yet". Something along those lines. Most vehicle manufacturers (Ford, GM, etc.) produce different models of their vehicles so you should specify the model or year, otherwise it becomes confusing. I think there's only one version of the MINI, so citing the year would be helpful.

By the way, the new MINI doesn't hold a candle to my 32-year-old classic Mini.:)

Kurt Jiang

china mandarin chinese
    A "product line" is different from a "production line", Kurt. A "product line" would be a new model. Let's say that BMW decided to jazz up the MINI and make it substantially different from last year's model - that would be a "product line". A "production line" is what you're thinking of.

In this context, you would have to be quite specific and say "The 2008 MINI has just come off the production line" or "The 2008 MINI is still in production and has not been released to retailers yet". Something along those lines. Most vehicle manufacturers (Ford, GM, etc.) produce different models of their vehicles so you should specify the model or year, otherwise it becomes confusing. I think there's only one version of the MINI, so citing the year would be helpful.

By the way, the new MINI doesn't hold a candle to my 32-year-old classic Mini.:)
    Dimcl,thank you. do you mean that "product line" is a totally new model instead of the old one, and the "production line" refers to a old mold just with some little modify. But to my knowledge ,there are differnces among three words"product, produce, production". the first one with regard to the industrial things coming from the factory,while the 2nd is corresponding to the argriculture goods, and the 3rd refers to the works/writings of art. So here I used the word product here. would you explain these to me if I made a misunderstand with these 3 words.

Additionally, what does the phrase of "hold a candle "in your last sentence?

Thank you!

Kurt!

Kurt Jiang

china mandarin chinese
    A new MINI is coming off the production line today to the customers.

If you want a native-english speaker's attempt to liven up your report, here goes:

The brand new MINIS are rolling off the production line into the hands of the (our) customer(s).
    thank you ,gremlin. You have clarified this expression to me.

Kurt!

Kurt Jiang

china mandarin chinese

Dimcl, I have another confusion in your remark. Why did you change my phrase "under construction" into "in production" here. Because I offen use this phrase in the sentence like this " the new library is still under construction in our camps", and I think it's right!

Thank you very much!

Kurt!

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Dimcl, I have another confusion in your remark. Why did you change my phrase "under construction" into "in production" here. Because I offen use this phrase in the sentence like this " the new library is still under construction in our camps", and I think it's right!

Thank you very much!

Kurt!
    (Dimcl seems to have left us, so I'll try to answer.)

Your sentence here is correct. We say buildings are "under construction."

However, when we are talking about things that are made in factories, we say they are "in production."

I hope this helps.

< Previous | Next >