legal approval/stamp/sanction?

alitza

Romania, Romanian
Hi everybody.
If you have a contract between two or more companies, normally each company will submit it to its legal department to get their ok on it, from the legal point of view, before it's signed by the executives . How do you call that?

• rubes1

United States, English
    Hi everybody.
    If you have a contract between two or more companies, normally each company will submit it to its legal department to get their ok on it, from the legal point of view, before it's signed by the executives . How do you call that?

I don't quite understand the question. A draft? You mean what is a contract called before it has been signed?

badgrammar

American English
    Well, do you mean how would you express that the contract is being approved by the legal department?

The contracts have been sent to our lawyers/legal department for approval
    The contracts must be approved by the legal department
    Our lawyers need to go over the contracts.

If you mean some sort of official stamp, you might say you need to get your lawyer to stamp/validate/sign.

I don't hink you'd ever use "sanction".

alitza

Romania, Romanian
    No, I'm sorry, I know I haven't made myself quite clear. A representative of the legal department usually signs the contract and maybe puts a stamp on it, to prove that is has been read by him/her and it is valid from the legal point of view. And that happens before it is signed by the executives of the company. At least in my company, an executive will not put his/her signature on a contract unless he/she sees the signature/stamp of the legal department. In that case, the contract has been legally approved/sanctioned (???) by the legal department.
    I hope I haven't complicated the explanation and make it even less understandable than before..

alitza

Romania, Romanian
    Yes, Badgrammar, that's exactly what I mean, but I need to write it in a very concise form,since it is a title in a guideline. So I need to write something like: legal approval of contracts..blah blah..and that doesn't sound quite right to me.Or does it?

badgrammar

American English
    You might go for "validated", in any case I have heard that term used in my line of business when referring to contracts. If you need to get really specific, like so that no on will sign any document that has not been approved, you might say "All contracts must be validated, stamped and signed by the legal department before...".