(legal) joint and several

< Previous | Next >

Transfer_02

English - British
The term "joint and several" is used to describe a form of liability where all parties are liable jointly and also individually eg: for the payment of compensation to an injured party.

However, what terms are used when this is not the case? Do we just say "individually liable"? Or are there other legal terms which are used?

• manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    The term "joint and several" is used to describe a form of liability where all parties are liable jointly and also individually eg: for the payment of compensation to an injured party.

However, what terms are used when this is not the case? Do we just say "individually liable"? Or are there other legal terms which are used?
    Logically we would simply use 'liable' since in the absence of joint liablility, individual liability is assumed. However, drafting your own legal documents is ill-advised.

Transfer_02

English - British
    Rest assured I am not drafting any legal documents. I'm just helping a student (I teach English as a foreign language) to read and understand some documents she is working with.

And I'm British and a native English speaker!

I just wondered if there were any other forms of liability apart from "joint and several" and "individual"? But I can probably find that information via google. Thanks anyway!

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    Rest assured I am not drafting any legal documents. I'm just helping a student (I teach English as a foreign language) to read and understand some documents she is working with.

And I'm British and a native English speaker!

I just wondered if there were any other forms of liability apart from "joint and several" and "individual"? But I can probably find that information via google. Thanks anyway!
    If it is a tenancy agreement, then there are just two kinds of liability :individual, or 'joint and several'.

< Previous | Next >