legislative authority

zwxsnake

Chinese
Hello,

“I represent the Foster Opinion Sampling Foundation, under contract to the State House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee."
"Good God, man!" Siskin protested. "It's practically the middle of the night!"
"This is a Type A priority survey, ordered and supported by the legislative authority of the state."

This is from the novel Simulacron-3. I wonder whether "legislative authority" in this case mean "the government" or "the official permission".

Thanks for your reply!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Neither - the legislative authority is not the same as the government. It refers to the State House of Representatives.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "This is a Type A priority survey, ordered and supported by the legislative authority of the state."= "This is a Type A priority survey, ordered and with the state's legal support - there is a law allowing me to do this."

the legislative authority of the state." = the authority of the law that the state, as represented by the House of Representatives, is able to implement.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In this context, "authority" means the body which gave the permission, it does not mean the permission itself.
    If it's OK to be vague, "government" is probably close enough, but technically this "body" will be only one part of the whole government.

< Previous | Next >