tomtombp

Hungarian
What does "legit so ... " mean?

I'm legit so excited
I'm legit so jealous
I'm legit so stressed
I'm legit so happy
etc.

It seems it's simply an emphasized "very".

Where does it come from and what is the role of "so" here? And in what meaning is "legit" used here?

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Never heard of it in Am.Eng. either. "Legit" is a slangy shortened form of "legitimate".
    I can imagine "legit(imate)" as a replacement for "truly", but only in the slang of some social group that I haven't met yet.

tomtombp

Hungarian
    I read it on Facebook as part of an image caption. After some Google search it's clear that it's chat speak. Most of the hits are Facebook or Tumblr or blog posts and comments. Even if it's not standard English I'm curious how words in "legit so excited" could work together. Maybe someone that is familiar with the meaning will come by and shed a light on it.

Myridon

English - US
    "Legit" has been used as slang shortening of the adjective "legitimate" for quite some time (for example: MC Hammer's "Too Legit to Quit" from 1991). This shortening of the adverb "legitimately" to "legit" is new to me as well, but I have no trouble understanding it.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I'm not sure what part you don't understand. "Legit" is being used as a (nonstandard) truncation of "legitimately," meaning "in truth, honestly." "So" means "very" in contexts like these.

Cross-posted; agree with Myridon.

tomtombp

Hungarian
    Ok, I get it now, replacing legit with "truly" or "honestly". I thought of legit as an adjective here and not an adverb. Thank you all.

< Previous | Next >