Legless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambistapt

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello amigos!

After the party, I drove Tom home because He was legless.

According to the WR dictionary, someone cut Tom´s leg off at the party.
In my humble opinion, it´s not the case, Is it a kind of metaphor to express that he couldn´t walk straight? It´s just an example to show you moderators that the entries don´t clear our doubts up totally due to the metaphor usage and we need a second opinion from the native speakers.

Thanks for you patience.

Sam:cool:

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Legless = incapable of walking through exessive indulgence in alcoholic beverages = drunk.

Forum search for the term legless reveals the following previous threads:
    to be hammered
    Drunk People: Describing Them And What They Do

Last edited:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello amigos!

After the party, I drove Tom home because He was legless.

According to the WR dictionary, someone cut Tom´s leg off at the party.
    In my humble opinion, it´s not the case, Is it a kind of metaphor to express that he couldn´t walk straight? It´s just an example to show you moderators that the entries don´t clear our doubts up totally due to the metaphor usage and we need a second opinion from the native speakers.

Thanks for you patience.

Sam:cool:
    I am patient. I took about 5 seconds to type the word legless into the forum search box. Guess what I found in about another 5 seconds, up towards the top of the list of citations?

There are probably other threads on this subject, but surprisingly, there don't appear to be any with "piddled" in the heading.

To be piddled, is one of the British slang words for being drunk, arseholed, pie-eyed, legless, pissed etc, though it is not to be found in some dictionaries.
    I won't give the link, so you may practice using the search function. It's easy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >