Legwear

< Previous | Next >

Rory Melough

British English
Hi everyone, do you have a generic term in Italian to say legwear?

We sell socks, legwarmers and tights and generally call this "legwear". In French, it doesn't look like there's a term at all and I've had to write the individual items.

If there isn't a word, could you say "il legwear" or would it be better to say "i calzettoni, gli scaldamuscoli e i collant" ?

• anglomania1

UK English

We sell socks, legwarmers and tights and generally call this "legwear". In French, it doesn't look like there's a term at all and I've had to write the individual items.

If there isn't a word, could you say "il legwear" or would it be better to say "i calzettoni, gli scaldamuscoli e i collant" ?
    Hello,
    sorry I haven't got a clue, but, as a suggestion, could you not use "abbigliamento" somewhere?
    Anglo

francy85

italian

Hi Vampire Rockstar,
    in Italian there isn't a generic word, which may traduce legwear,(or if it exist I don't know it). I think it is better to specify the different things you sell.

anglomania1

UK English

Hello again,
    I just had a look at the translation of "hosiery", which is similar to legwear, but it only gave me "maglieria" or "maglieria intima", not sure if this is much use either:(
    Anglo

francy85

italian
    Hello,
    sorry I haven't got a clue, but, as a suggestion, could you not use "abbigliamento" somewhere?
    Anglo
    Sorry Anglomania, I haven't see your answer!
    I think that "abbigliamento" doesn't work, because "abbigliamento" is too generic; it include also skirts, trousers, t-shirt, jeans.....

stella_maris_74

Mod About Chocolate
    Italian - Italy
    I confirm, there is no single word for "legwear" in Italian.
    You should either go for "calzettoni, scaldamuscoli e collant" (I'd leave the articles out, though) or, if you need something shorter, you could say "Calze & affini" (Socks & similar items).

Ciao :)

ConusMagus

Italian

Hello VR,
    yes there is. You can use both the term "calzeria" and "calze e affini" to group everything related to socks, etc.

Bye.

Rory Melough

British English
    That's excellent, guys. You've gone the extra mile for me here. I got in touch with our Italian office in the end and they said that they use "acessori per le gambe"..... think your suggestion was better!

< Previous | Next >