Leistungsträger der Gesellschaft

giberian

German
Hello,

I am thinking about how to translate the concept of "Leistungsträger" as used in political rethorics (for example in this comment). I am not happy with "top or high performers", a name that fits successful athlets but in my eyes does not convey the notion of "Leistungsträger der Gesellschaft": The latter is an ideolocially biased and controversial term. It appears as part of a political campaign, it refers primarily to entrepreneurs which - from that perspective - are seen as the sustaining pillars of society, creating economic prosperity, jobs, etc.

How would you translate "Leistungsträger" in such a context?

Thanks for your help!
G.

Last edited:
  • HON_Redakteur

Englisch - U.S.
    Hi, giberian:

You're right to proceed with caution; the German expression is indeed very nuanced, and I am unaware of any English word which conveys the same whole "halo" of meaning.

A very straightforward and "dry" term would be "high earners," but that would refer only to their income bracket, and is not as positive.

Best,
    Alex

giberian

German
    Hello Alex,

thanks for your reply! In fact, and as you noticed yourself, "high earners" is a too narrow term, it simply refers to the group's income and doesn't consider all the other and maybe more important notions of it. You seem to be familiar with the expression, but allow (and help) me to explain it better, so others can help us to look for an apt way of translating it. Even though I am not a friend of the expression, I will try to keep out my political stance:

As I understand it, "Leistungsträger" are seen to be the ones who with their effort - as business men, entrepeneurs, etc. - are responsible for economic growth and economic prosperity from which in consequence the society as a whole derives benefits: they create jobs, the taxes they pay are the source for financing the public infrastructure, etc.

Any suggestions for how to translate "Leistungsträger"?

Thanks to all of you!
    G.

Frank78

German
    Then you can just rephrase it.

"(XYZ-People) make an important contribution to society."

I´ve also found "big hitters" in a financial context. I´m not sure if this is too colloquial or even suitable.

Another suggestion (more scientific): "Leistungsträger einer Gesellschaft sind Akteure"
    So maybe "key/important actors of a society"
    There only one problem actors don´t have to be people, also institutions are actors.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >