leisurely work pace

< Previous | Next >

piggy94

Banned
Korean&English
The following sentences discess the disadvantages of multitasking and what confuse me is ' this leisurely work pace'. Does it me slowdowned work pace which caused by doing several things at the same time? Or what else?

In one study, subjects were instructed to write a report and check their email. The multitaskers took one and half times longer than those who completed one task before starting another. This more leisurely work pace will no doubt appeal to many. ( Does it mean that mutitasking makes your work morely slowly( leisurely work pace) and many people will reliazie the disadvantages of multitasking and stop doing several taks at the same time?)

• Copyright

American English
    The multitaskers took one and half times longer than those who completed one task before starting another. This more leisurely work pace will no doubt appeal to many.
    It means that multitasking takes longer and than many people will prefer this (doing same amount of work in a longer period of time). Because they will prefer this slower pace, they won't be inclined to adopt a one-task-at-a-time approach which will get the job done faster.

piggy94

Banned
    Korean&English
    Do you mean people prefers multitasking because they can finish their task longer than people who do one job at time? It doesn't makse sense to me. People love to finish their jobs as soon as possible , don't they?

Copyright

American English
    Do you mean people prefers multitasking because they can finish their task longer than people who do one job at time? It doesn't makse sense to me. People love to finish their jobs as soon as possible , don't they?
    How charming that sounds ... :D

Many people work for a certain number of hours a day, not a certain number of tasks. So if they are paid to work eight hours a day, they're happy to do only one or two jobs in that time, rather than 10 or 12.

Parkinson's Law says that: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. If you have two jobs and four hours to finish them, it will take you four hours. If you have the same two jobs, but you have eight hours to finish them, it will take you eight hours. (Ok, maybe not you, piggy, but many people. :))

Now if people worked by task, they would work faster. If you have the same two jobs to do and you can go home after you finish, people would find a way to complete them in two hours (assuming the pay is the same in all three examples).

< Previous | Next >