-lek

< Previous | Next >

ronanpoirier

Brazil - Portuguese
My friend from Hungary said beszélek veled which means I talk to you. Well, szeretlek means I love you so I got a little confused! I thought the -LEK ending in present conjugation would mean I ... YOU.

Now I'm really confused! When do I have to use the -LEK and when I have to use the suffix plus the pronominal thing (I don't know how to call that)...???

Help!!!

Thanks in advance and... answers in English, please!

• cajzl

Czech
    The correct decomposition is:

beszél - ek (accidentally the stem ends with L)
    szeret - lek

The endings are different.

Beszélek veled. = I am talking with you. (veled means with you, it is not a direct object)
    Szeretlek = I love you (you is the direct object, in Hungarian expressed by the special ending -lek/-lak)

The ending -lek/-lak is used only in the 1st person and if the direct object is téged (= you, sing.).

szeretek (= I love ...) + téged (= you) -> szeretlek (téged)
    látok (= I see ...) + téged -> látlak (téged)

berty bee

hungarian
    In hungarian we conjugate the verb. For all the persons (I, you, he, ...) the conjugated verb forms have different endings.
    In the case of intransitive verbs the endings are as follows:
    Singular 1st person: -k
    Singular 2nd person: -sz
    Singular 3rd person: -
    Plural 1st person: -unk or -ünk
    Plural 2nd person: -tok or -tek- or -tök
    Plural 3rd person: -nak or -nek

The hungarian language don't prefere the congestion of consonants. So we insert a vowel between the root of the verb and the ending (in Singular 1st person and in Singular 2nd person) to make easyer the prononciation. The inserted vowel depends on the vowel harmony of the root

In plural the ending depends on the vowel harmony of the root.

As all the endings of the conjugated verb are different, so we need not to use the personal pronoun. If we use it, then we emphasize the role of the subject of the action.

< Previous | Next >