lemon schmush

< Previous | Next >

ARGMAN

Arabic
in friends sitcom, season 1 episode 17

when Ross dropped the cake after he was scared from the wrong "surprise" and the cake got ruined he said: "I got lemon schmush"

I think he meant like something related with "mashed" or something german? what did he mean exactly?

• Another possible explanation based on my experience of living in New York City: Certain descendants of European ancestors sometimes kept the original German/Jewish/Yiddish pronunications in certain sh sounds and meanings, to the point that even New Yorkers without that ancestory would be corrected to change a "smear of cream cheese on my bagel" to say "schmear", and I would understand shmush or schmush to be more intense than mash or smash. I don't know if that happened in other big cities in the U.S., but it did in New York.

ARGMAN

Arabic
    Another possible explanation based on my experience of living in New York City: Certain descendants of European ancestors sometimes kept the original German/Jewish/Yiddish pronunications in certain sh sounds and meanings, to the point that even New Yorkers without that ancestory would be corrected to change a "smear of cream cheese on my bagel" to say "schmear", and I would understand shmush or schmush to be more intense than mash or smash. I don't know if that happened in other big cities in the U.S., but it did in New York.
    I think this is what I was looking for! cheers ;)

< Previous | Next >