"Leningrad" - typ długiego wieżowca - po angielsku?

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Baltic Sea, Nov 14, 2012.

  1. Baltic Sea Banned

    Witam ponownie!

    Chciałbym się dowiedzieć jak po angielsku powiedzieć "Leningrad" - typ wysokiego, 10-piętrowego budynku, budowane w Polsce przez Rosjan paredziesiąt lat temu. Może ""Leningrad" type Soviet Ara apartment building?

    Termin ten pochodzi z Szczecin (Stettin), Poland – A Bargain Day-Trip Out of Berlin, Germany.Pod zdjęciem 26 jest fragment tekstu z zastosowaniem "huge Soviet era apartment buildings".Może to o to chodzi.

  2. tirop New Member

    Cześć Baltic,

    As very few English speakers would know what a "Leningrad" building in Poland was (I've just had to look it up on Google now), I think I would use "so-called" in that sentence, as "Leningrad-type" by itself kind of presumes the reader knows what you're referring to. So maybe: "A so-called Leningrad Soviet-era apartment block". Or clearer: "A so-called Leningrad highrise apartment block from the Soviet era".
  3. LilianaB Banned

    US New York
    Where did you find this term Baltic -- Leningrad. Is it something people in Szczecin only use to describe those buildings -- do you mean something like the Palace of Culture in Warsaw ?. I have translated many things about Polish architecture, but I have never encountered a term Leningrad. It would be totally incomprehensible in English. I think you would have to describe it as a tall building in the Social Realism style of the 1950s.
  4. Baltic Sea Banned

    Thank you for your answers. Liliana. I think that you should be familiar with this type of buildings because you used to live in Lithuania which borders on and was influenced by the former USSR. This type of building is also called "large slab building" (budynek wielkopłytowy).
    Thank you both.
  5. Baltic Sea Banned

  6. LilianaB Banned

    US New York
    No, we don't have exactly the same type of building in New York, Baltic.:D I never saw anything like that in Poland, or even found the term in any literature related to Polish architecture. This is why I am asking if it is a standard term. The Soviet Union had various architectural forms -- starting from a yurta, to a palace. They even had log cabins. What you are referring to is just probably communist type buildings, or architecture.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  7. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    If you were writing for a British audience and used the term 1960s tower blocks, people would know the type of building you were talking about, Baltic.
  8. Baltic Sea Banned

    Thank you for 1960s tower blocks. I watched one of such films about British housing estates just a moment ago. What I meant, however, was Russian-made Soviet Era large panel apartment blocks. There is a difference between 1960s tower blocks (in England and elsewhere) and so-called Leningrad highrise apartment block from the Soviet era. Besides, I live in a Polish sea-resort where many years ago some Russian high-ranking officers stationed. We are still surrounded by such blocks which were first erected in the former USSR. Thank you for your help, anyway.
  9. LilianaB Banned

    US New York
    It is called "chruszczowka", this type of cheap apartments -- in Russian, but they were usually not very tall buildings (4 floors, I think). I don't think such buildings are called Leningrad any other place than where you encountered the word. Maybe the builders were from St. Petersburg (Leningrad) and some local people called this type of building Leningrad. I don't believe it is a standard term. Anyhow, the only way you can really translate it, so it is understandable in English, would be 1950s or 1960s tower blocks or Soviet style blocks.
  10. Baltic Sea Banned

    Thank you, LilianaB.
  11. Kulm New Member

    it is called KHRUSHCHEVKAS - the standardized panel buildings were defined by straight, plain lines and were void of any architectural details. Typical residential buildings erected during Khrushchev era had 5-9 stories.
    LilianaB is right.
  12. LilianaB Banned

    US New York
    Yes, I just spelled it the Polish way for him. They are only 4 or 5 stories though. Can they be taller?
  13. Kulm New Member

    Please remember the first floor is called "parter" in Poland. I've seen buildings that have 5-9 stories.

Share This Page