'Les nouveautés de la rentrée scolaire: "classes à douze", nouveaux tests et plus de portables'

Oli@lotrs

English - England
Hi all! :)

I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the following into English: 'Les nouveautés de la rentrée scolaire: "classes à douze", nouveaux tests et plus de portables'. It is a heading of an article that describes the changes happening in schools. Here is my attempt: What's new at the start of the school year: classes of twelve, new exams and increased use of mobile phones. I am particularly struggling with translating 'les nouveautes...' and 'plus de portables'.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

• Oli@lotrs

English - England
    Many thanks tartopom, Gérard Napalinex and Hildy1 for your helpful suggestions :) I didn't know you could have a negative without the 'ne'!! :)

Kakikako

French - France
    I agree with the other posts, but for "tests" I would leave it as "tests" (not exams) as I believe they are similar to the English SATS.

JiPiJou

French
    I didn't know you could have a negative without the 'ne'!!
    In theory, you can't. The "ne" is implied. Were it not a newspaper heading, the real sentence would be "(Les) classes (seront) à douze (élèves), (de) nouveaux tests (seront organisés) et (on n'autorisera) plus de portables".

Oli@lotrs

English - England
    Indeed JiPiJou, thank you :) Can I presume that this rule only applies to newspaper headings then?

JiPiJou

French
    No : it is oftten used, for example, when giving orders. A doctor might say : "Plus de cigarettes !" to a patient. And there are probably many other instances which I do not recall at present.
    Tartopom answered before me :p

JiPiJou

French
    The context and the tone of voice enable to understand if it means "no more" or if it is the opposite : "more of", usually pronounced "plusse de" (though some people might disagree on that pronunciation).

< Previous | Next >