'Les nouveautés de la rentrée scolaire: "classes à douze", nouveaux tests et plus de portables'

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Oli@lotrs, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Oli@lotrs Member

English - England
    Hi all! :)

I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the following into English: 'Les nouveautés de la rentrée scolaire: "classes à douze", nouveaux tests et plus de portables'. It is a heading of an article that describes the changes happening in schools. Here is my attempt: What's new at the start of the school year: classes of twelve, new exams and increased use of mobile phones. I am particularly struggling with translating 'les nouveautes...' and 'plus de portables'.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. tartopom Senior Member

Nougatville
    French
    No more mobile phones.

3. Gérard Napalinex

Gérard Napalinex Senior Member

Lyon, France
    French - France
    Hi

I believe you did well, except for plus, which means no more here.

4. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
  5. Oli@lotrs Member

English - England
    Many thanks tartopom, Gérard Napalinex and Hildy1 for your helpful suggestions :) I didn't know you could have a negative without the 'ne'!! :)

6. Kakikako Senior Member

London, UK
    French - France
    I agree with the other posts, but for "tests" I would leave it as "tests" (not exams) as I believe they are similar to the English SATS.

7. Oli@lotrs Member

English - England
    Okay, thank you Kakikako :)

8. JiPiJou Senior Member

French
    In theory, you can't. The "ne" is implied. Were it not a newspaper heading, the real sentence would be "(Les) classes (seront) à douze (élèves), (de) nouveaux tests (seront organisés) et (on n'autorisera) plus de portables".

9. Oli@lotrs Member

English - England
    Indeed JiPiJou, thank you :) Can I presume that this rule only applies to newspaper headings then?

10. tartopom Senior Member

Nougatville
    French
    And in spoken French. "Plus d'ordi si tu ranges pas ta chambre."

11. JiPiJou Senior Member

French
    No : it is oftten used, for example, when giving orders. A doctor might say : "Plus de cigarettes !" to a patient. And there are probably many other instances which I do not recall at present.
    Tartopom answered before me :p

12. Oli@lotrs Member

English - England
    Haha :p okay, thank you JiPiJou :)

13. JiPiJou Senior Member

French
    The context and the tone of voice enable to understand if it means "no more" or if it is the opposite : "more of", usually pronounced "plusse de" (though some people might disagree on that pronunciation).

14. Oli@lotrs Member

English - England
    This is brilliant, thank you JIPiJou and tartopom :) I'm beginning to understand the difference now :)