Leslie (middle name)

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
I wonder, why in the animation The Boss Baby the characters giggle at the middle name Leslie as if it's something funny. Several times during the movie. Is it out-dated, or something?...
Thanks.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Who has the middle name "Leslie", in the movie? Is it a male or a female?

The name is given to boys and to girls, but in the U.S. it is more commonly a girl's name. So if a boy has that middle name, children might giggle at it.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    A boy. That probably explains. I always thought that Leslie was a male name, because of the actor Leslie Nielsen.
    Thank you.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Usually the boy's name is Leslie, and the girl's name is Lesley. They are pronounced the same. Regrettably, many parents don't know about the spelling difference, and end up calling their unfortunate daughters Leslie.

I don't think I've come across a male Lesley.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Usually the boy's name is Leslie, and the girl's name is Lesley. They are pronounced the same. Regrettably, many parents don't know about the spelling difference, and end up calling their unfortunate daughters Leslie.

Well, the boy in the movie is Leslie, could there be any other reason for laughing at it it?...

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'm as surprised as you are. I know some men called Leslie (a classmate and a colleague in his 30s), and some women called Lesley (a dancing friend and our church secretary) - with the spelling differentiated as indicated by Edinburgher.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    could there be any other reason for laughing at it it?
    This has been answered in #2. The gigglers have probably only heard the name, not seen it written, and they are also probably more familiar with it as a female name.
    They are giggling because it seems to them as though the boy has a girl's name. Isn't that right, Victoria? :D:rolleyes:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    That's the thing — the boss baby (who has the mind of an adult) is reading the boy's file, where it is clearly written "Leslie", and which makes him laugh:eek:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    That's shameful. If he has the mind of an adult, he shouldn't be so infantile about it. He's probably also unaware of the spelling difference, and, irrespective of the spelling, thinks of it as a girl's name.
    He would probably laugh similarly about the names of men who have middle names that are indisputably female. Take Rainer Maria Rilke, for example, or Jean Marie Le Pen. Then there's that nice man in Korea. Kim is a girl's name, isn't it?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)

I don't believe I've ever come across any kind of Lesley. Must be a Brit thing. :D

< Previous | Next >