L'espace grand

< Previous | Next >

Randisi

English, USA
What does 'l'espace grand' mean in this sentence, and why is 'grand' placed after the noun?

The context: the author is discussing some of the peculiarities of lungs, comparing their intricate insides to rocky coastlines and turreted arêtes.

"Cela me fait respirer à l'aise dans l'espace grand, que je dorme, demain, aux bords de l'océan et du vent, ou m'éveil, hier, sur les clochetons capricieux de la pyramid du Cervin, thorax du Terre."

This allows me to breath freely in the wide open spaces, whether I sleep, as I will tomorrow, by the ocean and wind, or wake, as I did yesterday, on the capricious spires of the Matterhorn, the thorax of the Earth."

Does this refer to 'nature' in the sense of open and free of human clutter, or simply 'broad space'? A search also revealed that 'Le grand espace' is the French version of the old western 'The Big Country.'

Thanks for any help you can give.

• frenchaudrey

French, France
    Hi

Never heard of "espace grand" before but I think you got the meaning (wide open spaces, nature).
    Actually this sentence is weird (grammar, word order..) so it may be a mistake :)

Randisi

English, USA
    No mistake. This sentence structure is intentional. The author loves to stretch usage: placing 'même' after a noun, but meaning 'even' since this usage occurs in a list, 'propre' is often placed in front or behind the noun regardless of which sense it has, etc. Usually the context makes the sense clear. This can make things frustrating for a non-native speaking translator! But interesting…

< Previous | Next >