'less dramatic than matter-of-fact'

kkkkaisi

Mandarin
The original sentense is:

.... He said at one point in our conversation, in a manner less dramatic than matter-of-fact.

So what does the bold phrase mean? Does it mean that this 'he' said something that doesn't seem to be such big a deal for him? Like, he MENTIONED something at one point in our conversation, but that's all of it, it doesn't seem that he views that as something very dramatic or really that much to him?

Thank you!!!

• bennymix

Does it mean that this 'he' said something that doesn't seem to be such big a deal for him?

Yes, roughly. It means he said something [more]calmly and flatly (in terms of emotion) [than dramatically]. The sentence does not deny any 'drama', but says the 'matter of fact' quality was predominant.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I disagree. I don't think that this tells us whether or not what he said means a great deal to him. All that it tell us is that he didn't say it in a dramatic manner but, rather, in a matter-of-fact manner, presumably in an even tone of voice, not shouting or gesturing wildly. That's all I would assume.

kkkkaisi

Mandarin
    Does it mean that this 'he' said something that doesn't seem to be such big a deal for him?

Yes, roughly. It means he said something [more]calmly and flatly (in terms of emotion) [than dramatically]. The sentence does not deny any 'drama', but says the 'matter of fact' quality was predominant.

Thank you Benny! I think I've got a rough idea now!! Thank you again :)))

kkkkaisi

Mandarin
    I disagree. I don't think that this tells us whether or not what he said means a great deal to him. All that it tell us is that he didn't say it in a dramatic manner but, rather, in a matter-of-fact manner, presumably in an even tone of voice, not shouting or gesturing wildly. That's all I would assume.
    And thank you Parla! That's all very detailed explanation and I guess it might just mean something like 'he said that in a calm and very honest tone.'? That right? ;) Thank you again :)))

< Previous | Next >