less formal expression than 'hereafter' to mean 'from here'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by meijin, Jan 24, 2017.

1. meijin

meijin Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Hi, I'm looking for an expression that means the same as, but less formal than, 'hereafter' to use in parentheses. Below is an example sentence I've just made up.

The English Only forum in WordReference (hereafter WR) is a great place to learn English.

I've only come up with the following two versions. I guess #1 is better? Maybe there's an even better way to say it?

1. (WR for short from here)
    2. (shortened to WR from here)

2. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    You could also just use "(WR)".

The English Only forum in on WordReference (WR) is a great place to learn English. There are a lot of smart people on WR.:)

3. meijin

meijin Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Ah yes, WordReference is a website, so it should be on, not in. :oops:

And yes, it can just be "(WR)," can't it? But the names that appear in a document I'm currently translating are actually names of prototypes like BR-2031, FD-1193, and using just the shortened name (just the first alphabets) in the parentheses will not likely make readers aware that they are shortened versions of the names which will reappear later in the document. Below is an example with just the alphabets in the parentheses.

Of all the products evaluated in this test, Prototypes BR-2031 (BR) and FD-1193 (FD) performed best.

4. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I hate, loathe and detest the use of hereafter, hereinunder and the like (but don't let me influence you :)). The simplest option is below. but I prefer referred to below as. I know it's longer, but it does avoid the impression that you're telling your reader "I'm far too busy to make an effort to be clear for a lay person like you".

5. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    Then why did you ask us about how to abbreviate "the WordReference forum"? Why not just tell us you're working on a technical document and trying to abbreviate opaque alphanumeric codes?

6. meijin

meijin Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Thanks Keith. I REALLY like "referred to below as." I'll happily use it. :)

You know, I was REALLY afraid I would bore all of you by posting so many product test-related examples. :)

7. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    It's better to be bored than frustrated, though, and it's frustrating to give someone an answer that turns out to be worthless because they were asking the wrong question. :)

8. meijin

meijin Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    I'm sorry if I frustrated you and Barque, but his reply was certainly NOT worthless. Please see post #3. I realized my mistake, and also learned something new. :)

9. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    No, I didn't feel frustrated. And I added one to my post count.;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017