less known slang term for masturbation

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

skypecity

Chinese
I'm looking for a slang term for masturbation that is not so transparent, not very popularly known, because I need to fit it into the following conversation (which I made up). I found many synonyms on the internet, but I can't decide whether they're commonly known or only known to some.

David: I heard that too much xxx is not good for your health?
Paul: xxx? What is it?
David: I mean masturbation. How can you not know?
Paul: I really don't know.
David: I don't believe it.
Paul: Really!

Can someone give me a suggestion as to what phrase(s) can be used in place of the "xxx" here in this particular context? Thank you so much.

• Loob

English UK
    Just checking:
    (1) are David and Paul both native English speakers?
    (2) are they speakers of different varieties of English?
    (3) how old are they?
    (4) is one likely to be teasing the other by using an erudite term?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Unfortunately, we don't do lists. And the list is very long. 'euphemisms', though, are not slang terms (like 'strangling the snake'). Was 'xxxx' something like 'self-pollution' or 'onanism'?
    Edit: Partially deleted because I've just re-read the OP, and the information I asked for is in it.

Last edited:

skypecity

Chinese
    Just checking:
    (1) are David and Paul both native English speakers?
    (2) are they speakers of different varieties of English?
    (3) how old are they?
    (4) is one likely to be teasing the other by using an erudite term?
    Here are my answers:
    (1) They're both native speakers of English.
    (2) They come from the same place, so presumably they speak the same variety of English.
    (3) They're both teens, about 18 years old.
    (4) David is a little embarrassed to broach the subject of masturbation, so he tries to put it in a roundabout way. He does not intend to use an erudite term.

Loob

English UK
    Here are my answers:
    (1) They're both native speakers of English.
    (2) They come from the same place, so presumably they speak the same variety of English.
    (3) They're both teens, about 18 years old.
    (4) David is a little embarrassed to broach the subject of masturbation, so he tries to put it in a roundabout way. He does not intend to use an erudite term.
    In that case - I'm sorry, I can't think of a word that David would know but Paul wouldn't.

skypecity

Chinese
    Unfortunately, we don't do lists. And the list is very long. 'euphemisms', though, are not slang terms (like 'strangling the snake'). Was 'xxxx' something like 'self-pollution' or 'onanism'? And are you writing this, or asking for information about something you've read?
    I'm writing this. The dialogue is set in a context where people are conservative and find it embarrassing to talk about things related to sex. I think self-pollution and onanism are formal terms. What I'm looking for is a slang term for it.

skypecity

Chinese
    In that case - I'm sorry, I can't think of a word that David would know but Paul wouldn't.
    How about the possibility: In order to be less direct, David uses a slang term for masturbation he learned from a book which Paul has never read. Is this case, then, can you think of a word that David knows but Paul does not?

Loob

English UK
    No.
    And I'm sorry, I really don't understand the point of your thread. What is it you're looking for here, and why?

sdgraham

USA English
    How about the possibility: In order to be less direct, David uses a slang term for masturbation he learned from a book which Paul has never read. Is this case, then, can you think of a word that David knows but Paul does not?
    Please explain how we can possibly know what two fictional characters might or might not know.:confused::confused:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The dialogue is set in a context where people are conservative and find it embarrassing to talk about things related to sex.
    Then just use "masturbation" or something like that. You really need just a normal formal common word. Slang or euphemism will make David look too familiar with the topic. Although, his "How can you not know?" "I don't believe it." don't fit your description:rolleyes:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Then just use "masturbation" or something like that. You really need just a normal formal common word. Slang or euphemism will make David look too familiar with the topic. Although, his "How can you not know?" "I don't believe it." don't fit your description:rolleyes:
    But David does say 'masturbation' in line 3 of the dialogue, so skypecity is looking to find a prudish alternative for what he says in line 1.
    And is any post-pubescent human being unfamiliar with the topic ('practice')? < Off topic comment removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

Loob

English UK
    So we're looking for a non-erudite slang term which a prudish 18-year-old might use but which another (non-prudish) 18-year-old wouldn't understand? Go for it, ain'tt!

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    But David does say 'masturbation' in line 3 of the dialogue, so skypecity is looking to find a prudish alternative for what he says in line 1.
    My point was that if David had used "masturbation" in the first line, the dialog would've gone in the right direction. But as I see that was not the OP's intention:D

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Loob, in the first or second of Liz Townsend's Adrian Mole books, she has Adrian write in his secret diary "Sometimes they [his spermatazoa] leak out at night, and sometime I help them leak out..."

skypecity

Chinese
    Many thanks for all the replies. The conversation I made up might be weird to modern people in an open, liberal society, but just think of a time, in my grandfather's generation for example, when sex was a taboo topic and people were too conservative to talk about it directly. Wouldn't my conversation make sense in such a context? I was just wondering how people would have said in this situation.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm probably your grandfather's generation and you are very right about not talking about sex and taboos. Anyway I might be the right age but I'm the wrong gender, so I have no idea what slang young men might have used, or known, or in fact how much any of us knew or didn't know. If the context as been changed to the middle of the last century there would also be a strong two way class and educational level angle.
    More variable than nowadays, that's for sure!

I think somebody already pointed out that you are asking a question which almost by definition can't be answered.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    I
    David: I heard that too much xxx is not good for your health?
    Paul: xxx? What is it?
    David: I mean masturbation. How can you not know?
    Paul: I really don't know.
    David: I don't believe it.
    Paul: Really!
    :confused:
    As in your recent question on kissing, this all seems back-to-front to me. I'd expect the conversation to go like this:
    David: I've heard that too much masturbation's not good for you.
    Paul: Masturbation? what's that?
    David: I mean wanking*. How can you not know?
    Paul: I don't know big words.
    David: I don't believe you.
    Paul: It's true.
    Unless Paul is a strict Mormon who's been living in a cupboard his whole life and has never ever spoken to another teenage boy until today, the chances of his knowing masturbation before he knows wanking are infinitesimal.

*AmE: jerking off.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    A variation based on an old joke about this cautionary myth told by parents in an atttempt (always futile - and the parents really know this) to dissuade their pubescent children from indulging* in this practice (it would make the dialogue shorter, though):

D: I've heard that too much xxxx makes you go blind.
    P: What's xxxx? (better than "xxxx? What is it?", in my opinion)
    D: Masturbation.
    P: Well, I don't even need glasses yet - but I'm only eighteen (like you).

Another version (although the old joke cites blindness) which would shorten the dialogue even more:
    D: I've heard that xxxx makes you go deaf.
    P: What?

*Hey, there's a possibility for 'xxxx': "self-indulgence"! :D

(skype, does your dialogue take place between two eighteen-year-olds in your grandfather's time?)

And, H G, re your #24, why couldn't two eighteen-year-old girls - oops, politically incorrect, "two young women of eighteen" - have a coversation on this subject?

Edi: I've just read ewie's latest version, and it makes sense, except if David grew up in a household where the parents teach their offspring to "call things ( :rolleyes: ) by their proper names", and he'd learned "masturbation" at home and heard "jerking off" at school. . (Another oldie: Two young boys, say about six years old, are in the water closet :D in B's home and A says "weenie" and B says "We call things by their proper names here - it's 'penis'". A replies, "You silly! A penis is somone who plays the piano!")

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    "Onanism".

There was an old nudie (circa 1965) movie called "Love is a four letter word".

The preview said, "Love is a four letter word. 'L' stands for 'lesbianism', 'O' stands for 'onanism', 'V' stands for 'voyeurism', and 'E'...'E' stands for 'every other perversion'".

If you want to be biblical: Seed wasting syndrome.:D

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    Has onanism been mentioned yet? This seems to fit the bill.

Edit: Sorry, just seen Packard's post #34
    Has onanism been mentioned yet? This seems to fit the bill.

Edit: Sorry, just seen Packard's post #34
    Onan was slain by God for "shedding seed in vain". The "shedding seed in vain" would be understood by more people than "onanism". I only learned it from hearing the trailer for that nudie movie (which was released in regular theaters and would probably be an 'R' rated movie now). I've used the word ('onanism") many times over the years an to date not a single person knew what I was talking about.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This has turned into a rather aimless list, which is against the rules of our forum. We require a question that makes it possible to find a specific acceptable word.

It seems to me that the impediment settling on one or two suggestions is the structural difficulty ewie points out above. If skypecity needs to use a slang term, I hope he will consider ewie's suggested revision.

Or follow up Packard's comment that 'onanism' is a less well-known formal word for 'masturbation'.

This thread is closed.

Cagey,

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >