let go of that

< Previous | Next >

amby

Banned
chinese
Is ' let go of it' proper in the following sentence which I intend to say' forget it'?

A: what? You broke her favorite dish?
B: Take it easy. I can find something that really lookes like the one I broke .
A: Let go of that. She will definitely notice it. You'd better tell her what you did instead of tryng to deceive her.

• paul f

English - England
    Rather than 'let go of that', I would say simply 'let it go'.

In the context of your example I would probably say 'Forget it' or 'Forget about it' instead.

In general I would say with this sort of imperative we almost always use an indefinite 'it' rather than the more specific 'that'.

Myridon

English - US
    "Let it go" is sometimes interchangeable with "Forget it" but in this case it's not because it means something more like "Stop worrying about the whole thing". In this situation, it is B who wants A to stop worrying about the whole situation. A wants B to forget the idea of replacing the dish (Forget it (the idea)), but to continue to do something (so can't say "Let it go" which would be telling B to forget all about breaking the dish and thus do nothing about the entire situation). It would be more appropriate in this conversation to replace B's "Take it easy!" with "Let it go!"

< Previous | Next >