Let it go vs let it go at that

Anushka Athukorala

Sinhalese
Hello Members
I read the sentence below on the internet and I would like to know if let it go at that can be replaced eith let it go with the same meaning.
Lets just say that I got in a little trouble with the police and let it go at that.

Lets just say that I got in a little trouble with the police and let it go.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello. When I see "let it go at that", I assume that "it" refers to the topic of conversation.

When I see "let it go", I'm not sure what "it" refers to.

I think it's wise to leave "let it go at that" alone and consider it a fixed expression. I don't think there's any advantage in trying to shorten it.

Anushka Athukorala

Sinhalese
    Hello Owlman
    Thank you for the explanation. I read in Collins online dictionary about the definition of let it go but the dictionary didn't have let it go at that.

The definition and example below are from Collins dictionary.

If someone says or does something that you think isannoying or stupid and you let it go, you do not react to it or say anything about it.
    Let it go, he thought. He didn't feel like arguing.

Could you please provide me with a few natural examples of let it go at that

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Anushka.

"We'll/I'll let it go at that" typically means "We/I have said enough about the subject."

Do you like Monica? I certainly haven't heard anything bad about her. I'll let it go at that. = I haven't given you a complete answer, but I don't want to reveal my negative opinions about her. I have said enough already.

Anushka Athukorala

Sinhalese
    Hello Owlman
    Thank you very much for the example and explabation. Now I understand how it differs from let it go. Could you please chech if my sentences below are correct?
    A why did you get late for the meeting?
    B I ran out of gas and then I had a flat tyre, let it go at that.

A Are you going to take part in the race?
    B no because I have a bad knee , let it go at that.

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome.

"Let it go at that" in both examples means "Don't ask me any more questions". This is certainly possible.

Remember that people often use "I'll let it go at that." When they do, it means "I don't want to say anything more about the subject." Of course, this is slightly different than giving the other person a command as you did in your examples.

Let it go at that. = I am ordering you not to ask me any more questions.
    I'll let it go at that. = I don't want to say anything more about the subject.

Last edited:

Anushka Athukorala

Sinhalese
    Thanks a lot for teaching me the difference. I guess let it go at that is not very suitable in conversation as it sounds rude. So as you explained I will stick to what taught I'll let it go at that.

< Previous | Next >