let me see you stripped down to the bone

I found on a site that gives translations of Rammstein songs; I go there because that guy is far more familiar with German expressions than I am.

Rammstein's songs are all in German, however they once did a remix of a Depeche Mode song 'Stripped'. They changed the music and changed the chorus line 'let me see you stripped down to the bone' to simply 'let me see you stripped'. Oddly enough, the guy on that site translated the song into German and translated the line 'let me see you stripped' as 'lass mich dich sehen nackt'.

Is this the right way to say this sentence? It's a rather odd sentence and I dont see this pattern all that often. The only example I know of that uses this structure is 'Er hat es gemacht aus keinem Grund.'

• ErOtto

Bilingual: Spanish (Spain) / German (Germany)
    trance0´s option is correct.

The only example I know of that uses this structure is 'Er hat es gemacht aus keinem Grund.'
    This structure isn´t correct.

If you want to say "he did it, he had a reason" you would say "Er hat es aus einem Grund gemacht"

If you want to say "he did it, with no reason" you would say "Er hat es ohne Grund gemacht" or "Er hat es gemacht, ohne Grund".

mgsth

Germany / German
    "Lass mich dich sehen nackt." is not standard language. But if I think of some Rammstein songs, this special word order probably fits much better into the metre (?, dt. Metrum) they often use. It's just for lyric reasons.

trance0´s option is correct.

This structure isn´t correct.

If you want to say "he did it, he had a reason" you would say "Er hat es aus einem Grund gemacht"

If you want to say "he did it, with no reason" you would say "Er hat es ohne Grund gemacht" or "Er hat es gemacht, ohne Grund".
    Bleh, that's what my German teacher taught me, and she was a native German. Oh well.

Danke schön.

Hutschi

I don't think that the negative form is requiered to allow apposition.

I do not see a reason that there would be a difference in the usage of the apposition between:

"Lass mich Dich sehen, nackt!"
    "Lass mich Dich sehen, nicht nackt!"

So I think:
    Er hat es gemacht, aus einem Grund. is correct, too, but seldom used.
    More often is used:
    Er hat es gemacht, aus einem ganz bestimmten Grund.

PS: Was the quotation a transcription from a Rammstein song or an original publishing? (Stammt der geschriebene Text original von Rammstein oder hat ihn jemand von der gesungenen Version abgeschrieben?
    Some poet omit the punctuation marks, so it is correct in poetry, but not in standard.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >