Let my boss have it first

sinukg

Malayalam
Hi everyone,

The other day I was travelling with my boss on a train. When the train reached a station, a street vendor entered the train. He asked us whether we need anything to drink. When we ordered two cups of coffee, he first took a cup of coffee and gave it to me. But I wanted it to give to my boss first. In this context, could you please tell me which of the following sentences are correct?

Let my boss have it first.
I will have the next one.
Please give it to my boss.
Let him have it first.

Last edited:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    "Please give it to my boss" is clearest. You could also say "Please give my boss the first one" (or something similar). This is clearer than saying "I will have the next one". The first and last sentences, with "it", suggest that you will each take sips from the same cup in turn, that you will have the same cup after your boss.

Chasint

English - England
    British answer

Not really a language answer*, but I would simply take the coffee and hand it to my boss. This is simple politeness. Alternatively I would gesture towards the boss and say nothing.

The vendor will never see you or your boss again, so there is no point in making a drama of it. Also, there is no point in telling the vendor that this is your boss - what do they care?

Afterthought

If your purpose is to kowtow to your boss and show them how important you consider them to be, you could gesture and say:

"Give it to my boss"

* Or is it? Sometimes silence is part of language and is very meaningful. Gestures are a language all of their own.

Last edited: