let one's eyes roll past him

minipousse

Urdu and French France
Hello, could anyone help me to translate this sentence i'm rather confused !!!

"she let her eyes roll past him up the street "

My try : " elle laissa ses yeux se promener au dessus de lui, plus loin? vers la rue / en direction de la rue "

Thanks for correcting me !

• toomuchtodo

English - UK
    Hello, could anyone help me to translate this sentence i'm rather confused !!!

"she let her eyes roll past him up the street "

My try : " elle laissa ses yeux se promener au dessus de lui, plus loin? vers la rue / en direction de la rue "

Thanks for correcting me !
    Xiancee's translation sounds possible, but the sentence is bizarre. It sounds like she took her eyes out and rolled them along the road! What is the context?

minipousse

Urdu and French France
    Well , i agree it's not very clear , here is some context :

"She was even with the hood before she saw him. She cocked her head and arched her back and shivered. She was close to him, close enough to touch, though her body was set for walking she stayed still. She let her eyes rool past him up the street "

Well i hope it can help, what is he exactly doing just ignoring him and looking at the street ?? Or :confused:

thanks

minipousse

Urdu and French France
    hey xiancee well two sentences after we are told that the guy is sitting in the car, donc est ce qu'on peut dire cela quand même et pourquoi the street ? comment le placer dans la traduction, je pense que comme vous le dites elle regarde le garçon sans le voir vraiment, mais comment le traduire ??? et puis par la suite elle est même en mesure de lui dire "you ran out of gas" peut elle le savoir tout en étant à l'extérieur ? hellllllp !!

toomuchtodo

English - UK
    Well , i agree it's not very clear , here is some context :

"She was even with the hood before she saw him. She cocked her head and arched her back and shivered. She was close to him, close enough to touch, though her body was set for walking she stayed still. She let her eyes rool past him up the street "

Well i hope it can help, what is he exactly doing just ignoring him and looking at the street ?? Or :confused:

thanks
    I think she looks at him, and then up the street. Could she be checking who or what is in the street, before deciding what to do next? I don't think she is actually 'ignoring' him. And she seems to have been walking - not in the car with him. 'She was even with the hood before she saw him', followed by 'her body was set for walking' implies to me that she had been walking along, and drew level with him (he is perhaps sitting in the car?) before she spotted him - and then she stopped ('she stayed still').

< Previous | Next >