let the time I [marked] pass in peace

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 32) | Genius

Quotation: And now it is deluged with a nectarous flood—the young germs swamped—delicious poison cankering them: now I see myself stretched on an ottoman in the drawing-room at Vale Hall at my bride Rosamond Oliver’s feet: she is talking to me with her sweet voice—gazing down on me with those eyes your skilful hand has copied so well—smiling at me with these coral lips. She is mine—I am hers—this present life and passing world suffice to me. Hush! say nothing—my heart is full of delight—my senses are entranced—let the time I marked pass in peace.”

Context: St. John was imagining what would happen if he married Miss Oliver.
===
Hi everyone! I don’t quite understand the bold part. Does it mean “let the time I counted silently pass in peace”, as in the thread marked time ?

'to mark time' is to take a pause (while you count silently/in your head the beats in the music before you start playing again).

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "The time I marked" is the quarter of an hour that he said he would allow himself to enjoy the fantasy that he and Rosamond could be happily married. He doesn't want his fantasy to be interrupted until that time is over.

< Previous | Next >