Let us accomplish it for true happiness in this year.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
This year, our propagation goal is 822 persons. Let us accomplish it for true happiness in this year. [The religion teaches that the believers should propagate so as to bring happiness to themselves and to the people they convert.]

The above sentence is from a Nichiren Shu magazine.

Would it be better if I replace for with to achieve or to attain?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You seem to be using the verb "to propagate" to mean "convert" or "increase" whereas the main meaning is "to breed or to produce offspring." Can you clarify what you mean?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Presumably the idea is that the beliefs are propagated from person to person, not that the persons themselves propagate like plants in a greenhouse.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Thanks, Paul and Edinburgh.

In Buddhism the word "propagation" is used for spreading of the religion. And the verb means "to convert". I think I should have written "propagate the religion" in the earlier post.

Having clarified the issue, I would like to know whether I should use "to achieve" or "to attain" in place of "for". Thanks.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In Buddhism the word "propagation" is used for spreading of the religion.
    Belief systems often use words in unusual senses, and I think that your worry is that "for" is too ordinary/usual. A common collocation with reference to Buddhism is "attain" - I feel people would expect to see that verb: "Let us accomplish it in order to attain true happiness in this year."

However, (i) you will have to decide if, technically, the teaching of The Buddha state that "true happiness" can be attained in this way and (ii) I seem to have an impression that "attaining" things is an important aspect of Buddhism ( release from the cycle of rebirth is attained, and there are levels of attainment), so you may wish to consider "achieve." But then, once you have achieved something - it tends to stay with you, so the happiness would continue into the next year, etc.

I suspect that you would not want to say "Let us accomplish it and be happy this year" although that is probably more realistic.

So, in short - choose either alternative.

< Previous | Next >