Let's begin

Brian P

A little off topic here but this conversation reminds me of a joke I heard when I was in Russia. Gorbachev, who was notorious for stressing the wrong syllable, met with Reagan and said Даваем НАчать "Let's BEgin" said his interpreter.

• DareRyan

United States - English
    Brian P said:
    A little off topic here but this conversation reminds me of a joke I heard when I was in Russia. Gorbachev, who was notorious for stressing the wrong syllable, met with Reagan and said ?????? ?????? "Let's BEgin" said his interpreter.
    judging by that joke I think Gorbachev must have written my text book!
    :)

P.S. you can call me Dare like (Дажэ) [I have czech parents, Ryan's a nickname]

Anatoli

русский (Russian)
    Brian P said:
    A little off topic here but this conversation reminds me of a joke I heard when I was in Russia. Gorbachev, who was notorious for stressing the wrong syllable, met with Reagan and said Даваем НАчать "Let's BEgin" said his interpreter.
    Даваем НАчать is incorrect. "давай(те) начнём!" or simply "начнём!", "давайте начинать" is also possible.

You could say the joke differently, that's how I heard it. Gorbachev asked how to say
    НАчать in English and he was answered: "BEgin".

Jana337

čeština
    Sweet. :)

Is there an explanation for his erroneous accentuation? Something regional?

Jana

ekhlewagastiR

Russian (languages RUS, SWE, ENG, GER, ESP)
    Anatoli said:
    Даваем НАчать is incorrect. "давай(те) начнём!" or simply "начнём!", "давайте начинать" is also possible.

You could say the joke differently, that's how I heard it. Gorbachev asked how to say
    НАчать in English and he was answered: "BEgin".

just "Let's begin" is "давай(те) начнём!" or simply "начнём!", as you said.

you can also say "приступим!"

you can´t just say "давайте начинать", it needs some more continuation and, I think, sounds a little bit forced.

ekhlewagastiR

Jana337 said:
    Sweet. :)

Jana

I don´t know but in my personal opinion these things depend on the level of culture one has :)

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Jana337 said:

"Accentuation" is a plague for most native Russian speakers. :eek:

I'm afraid practically no one stresses ALL words right. Myself, I am not going to say крапива or кулинария,even if it is recommended by all dictionaries. I would always say крапива and кулинария. On the other hand, there are lots of commonly "misstressed" words that make me cringe, such as торты or звонит (it should be торты and звонит).

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    cyanista said:
    I'm afraid practically no one stresses ALL words right. Myself, I am not going to say крапива or кулинария,even if it is recommended by all dictionaries. I would always say крапива and кулинария. On the other hand, there are lots of commonly "misstressed" words that make me cringe, such as торты or звонит (it should be торты and звонит).
    Well, according to this I mispronounce all of these! Even the ones that make Cyanista cringe ;) Well, maybe I agree with you on звонит, but I have NEVER heard anyone say торты. Perhaps I've been hanging out with the wrong crowd, or not buying enough pastries...:p To me, this just means that the dictionaries are out of touch with the way people speak.

However, Dare, I don't want you to get the impression that accents in Russian are not well established. Despite the examples given here, most Russian know exactly where the accents should in the vast majority of words.

ekhlewagastiR

Well, I`ve never (!!!) heard крапива and the correct one will be крапива as cyanista says.

As for "кулинария", the both variants are accepted now although what I hear and myself say is кулинария.

Yes, I do have heard (and even say it myself) торты (торты is not correct although there is a lot of people saying so)

звонит is very vulgar, unpardonable.

there is a very good site where you can consult you doubts in Russian, even the accentuation.
    the site is gramota.ru
    you can rely on it

Anatoli

русский (Russian)
    Other examples words that are pronounced by many people differently from dictionary:
    продал
    отдал
    передал
    щавель

The dictionary will say:
    продал
    отдал
    передал
    щавель

But the above sound a bit awkward when following dictionaries.
    I posted somewhere that Russians are sometimes too sensitive to fellow native speakers when they mispronounce words (does not apply to foreigners) because every Russian should speak one language, there are no regional variations to the proper Russian (unlike dialects in many languages). Other common error is non-existent "ложить". Feminine verb forms ждала, спала (waited, slept) instead of the correct ждала, спала. Gorbachev was ridiculed by comedians (in a friendly way) for using them.

He also has some regional, South Russian accent (he is from Stavropol) and his choice of words and word stress is common to that region in general.

I am not bothered about торты or торты, I prefer the former but I don't cringe at the latter.
    I always say звонить, звонишь but you'll get sick trying to correct the ones saying it wrong, there are too many! Some will insist, it is correct!
    Of course, кулинария
    The word "кофе" is of course, masculine but it may become neuter one day, someone said, it's already both geneders officially. I use masculine but I agree with some who think it is unnatural for Russian to keep it masculine.

Brian P

Thanks for the correction, Anatoli. When I was in Russia I was constantly stressing the wrong syllable, prompting one of my friends to say, "Brian, ты ГОВоришь как ГОРбачёв!"

Anatoli

русский (Russian)
    Brian P said:
    Thanks for the correction, Anatoli. When I was in Russia I was constantly stressing the wrong syllable, prompting one of my friends to say, "Brian, ты ГОВоришь как ГОРбачёв!"

:)

One of my former teachers intentionally said "Молодежь, подростки..."

ekhlewagastiR

Brian P said:

sometimes the acentuation is important for the meaning of the words:
    писАть - to write, but
    пИсать - to piss

so be careful with this :)

ekhlewagastiR

Brian P said:
    У обоих глаголов тот же спряжениeя?

Пишу I write Пишу I piss

то же спряжение - мне кажется, лучше "спрягаются одинаково?"
    нет. они спрягаются по-разному:
    Пишу I write
    Писаю I piss