Let's bungle in the jungle!

veracity

Hi,

Jethro Tull.

What is it? Can you say it in other way? What shoud we screw up in the jungle? It sounds nonsense. Certainly it is a play with similar words. Without any meaning?

Have some idea?

Thanks.

• scotu

Chicago English
    Let's bungle in the jungle --- well, that's all right by me.
    I'm a tiger when I want love,
    but I'm a snake if we disagree. Jethro Tull
    This is poetic license, my interpretation is something like;
    It's a jungle out there...let's make the best of it.
    or; let's spoil it by making it civilized.

Packard

USA, English
    It must be a reference to the famous boxing match 'the rumble in the jungle' between Cassius Clay and George Foreman in 1974. Here are some details.
    Just a small correction:

The fight was in the 1974 and Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali in the mid 1960s, so the fight was between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman.

Other than that small point, I agree with Thomas.

scotu

Chicago English
    The Jethro Tull album "Warchild"was released in October 1974 (before the fight?), The Clay/Foreman fight was October 30, 1974.
    If it is connected to the fight, which is the chicken and which is the egg?

kitenok

Other than the use of the word jungle, I don't see a reason to connect the song to the Ali-Foreman fight. The lyrics have nothing to do with boxing and seem to be some sort of vague narration about tourists and/or colonists in some unidentified jungle who get drunk every Friday and scoff at the "monkeys who live in their dark tents" (presumably representing the natives).

Bungle means to behave clumsily or foolishly. It seems to be a song about people behaving foolishly in a jungle, which may be literal or metaphorical. I don't have a more concise or definitive interpretation than that, but I can't see anything that would connect the song to a heavyweight championship fight.

lablady

English - USA
    I agree with kitenok's interpretation of foolish behavior in either a literal or figurative jungle. I suspect that the word "bungle" was chosen simply because it rhymes with "jungle".

< Previous | Next >