Let's go for a motorcycle ride/Let's go riding.

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
Let's go for a walk = Let's go walking,

Let's go for a swim = let's go swimming,

Let's go for a drive = Let's go driving,

Let's go for a bike(ride) = Let's go biking,

Let's go for a motorbike ride/ride on the bike = Let's go riding.

What do the native speakers say when they go for a bicycle ride and when they go for a motorcycle ride?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'Let's go riding' means 'Let's go horse-riding' to me.

I'd say, 'Let's go cycling' for riding on a bicycle. 'Biking' is ambiguous, and it's often associated with a motorbike ride.

Garbo

English - USA
    Let's go for a walk:tick: = Let's go walking:tick:

Let's go for a swim :tick:= let's go swimming,:tick:

Let's go for a drive:tick: = Let's go driving,:cross:

Let's go for a bike(ride):cross:
    Let's go for a bike ride:tick:
    Let's go biking,:tick: <---------OK if it's a motorcycle.

Let's go for a motorbike ride:cross:
    Let's go for a ride on the bike:tick:
    Let's go riding.:tick:

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    'Let's go riding' means 'Let's go horse-riding' to me.

I'd say, 'Let's go cycling' for riding on a bicycle. 'Biking' is ambiguous, and it's often associated with a motorbike ride.
    But when I type "biking", I see only images of cyclists wearing helmets riding or carrying cycle on various roads.

Garbo

English - USA
    It is not incorrect to say "let's go biking" or "let's go riding" whether you mean a motorcycle or a standard pedal bicycle. We are trying to find the most commonly-used phrase.

I would like to make a correction to natkretep's let's go riding. It should be "let's go horseback riding."

Hope this helps! :)

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    It is not incorrect to say "let's go biking" or "let's go riding" whether you mean a motorcycle or a standard pedal bicycle. We are trying to find the most commonly-used phrase.

I would like to make a correction to natkretep's let's go riding. It should be "let's go horseback riding."

Hope this helps! :)
    You marked " let's go driving" as incorrect. So it means that, let's go riding(in the car) also can be said to mean "let's go for a drive".

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    Let's go for a walk:tick: = Let's go walking:tick:

Let's go for a swim :tick:= let's go swimming,:tick:

Let's go for a drive:tick: = Let's go driving,:cross:

Let's go for a bike(ride):cross:
    Let's go for a bike ride:tick:
    Let's go biking,:tick: <---------OK if it's a motorcycle.

Let's go for a motorbike ride:cross:
    Let's go for a ride on the bike:tick:
    Let's go riding.:tick:
    I have found a song, let's go driving by Sesame street.

Let's go driving in an automobile
    Let's take a ride in a car
    Listen to the motor go vroom, vroom, vroom
    As we travel near and far
    Vroom, vr-vroom, vr-vroom

Garbo

English - USA
    Yes!

:tick:You marked " let's go driving" as incorrect. So it means that, let's go riding(in the car) also can be said to mean "let's go for a drive".

In the Sesame Street song, I would say "Let's go driving in an automobile" is incorrect. It is lyrical (it sounds good) but it's not accurate. You cannot go driving! One person is the driver and the rest of the people are passengers or riders! It should be "Let's go riding in an automobile. Let's take a ride in a car."

:D

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    Yes!

:tick:You marked " let's go driving" as incorrect. So it means that, let's go riding(in the car) also can be said to mean "let's go for a drive".

In the Sesame Street song, I would say "Let's go driving in an automobile" is incorrect. It is lyrical (it sounds good) but it's not accurate. You cannot go driving! One person is the driver and the rest of the people are passengers or riders! It should be "Let's go riding in an automobile. Let's take a ride in a car."

:D
    Thanks. :)

Actually this part clarifies the whole thing.You cannot go driving! One person is the driver and the rest of the people are passengers or riders!

Now I understand.

But If I have to clarify, I should say " lets go riding in my car/on my motorcycle/on my cycle.

sdgraham

USA English
    Back when I was growing up in Chicago, Illinois, motorbikes and motorcycles were not the same thing. It seems that what we called "motorbikes" are now called "motorized bicycles."

I cannot, however, bring myself to say "motorbike" to mean "motorcycle."

< Previous | Next >