let's go out for a/the day

< Previous | Next >

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
Hi, friends,In an English textbook titled &quot;Cutting Edge&quot; I came upon the following:'Let's go out for .... day.'a/zero article b/the c/aIn the key to the exercises section only b/ is the correct one.I wonder why c/ cannot be also true. More specifically, 'a' as an indefinite article refers to a day/some day in a future period and not to the very same day the offer is extended. Is 'the' idiomatic here and this is the reson why 'a' sounds awkward? Thank you

• jianadaren

English - Canadian
    "Let's go out for a day" could be correct under some circumstances, but without context it sounds wrong. For example, one person could want to go for a week while the other thinks this is too long and proposes a shorter trip. "Let's just out out for the day" would be a more typical response, though.

Since it is a more common expression, I'm not surprised that "Let's go out for the day" was considered the only correct answer. A mistake, in my view, but an understandable one.

Last edited:
    I agree with jianadare. You would say 'Let's go out for the day' on its own early in the morning to family or friends. To make a forward arrangement there's 'Let's go out for the day next Sunday'. For an indeterminate date we can say 'Let's have a day out sometime.'

Rover

< Previous | Next >