Let's go sing karaoke this weekend

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Peter Tran, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Peter Tran

Peter Tran Senior Member

Let's go sing karaoke this weekend.

I think this sentence is not correct, it should be "go singing" instead? Please do me a favor.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    The first version sounds more natural to me, Peter Tran. Using "go singing" would make sense, but I'd expect to hear "go sing" instead. It's a shorter way to say: Let's go somewhere to sing karaoke.

3. Peter Tran

Peter Tran Senior Member

Thank Mr/Ms owlman5

4. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Hello Peter

I agree with you, although I suspect my BE ear is informing me.
    To my mind, the construction "Let's go [do something]" is either rather American, or plain unidiomatic, but it does depend on what the activity is.

In this context, I would say "Let's go karaoke-singing this weekend!" This is by analogy with with "carol-singing". "We're going carol-singing on Christmas Eve so we can't come to your party until late in the evening". There are many other activities which are suited to this construction in a simliar context.

Where's Tom?
    Oh, he's gone snorkelling/ swimming today.

What are you doing for/on your holidays?
    We're going mountain climbing in Scotland

These are all using a "to go + gerund/verbal noun" construction, for plans and activities.

There's another use of ''go' - in instructions, recommendations and commands.

I am so bored!
    Oh, for heavens sake! Go (and) sing karaoke! Go (and) boil your head! Go (and) take a long walk on a short pier!

I can't stand my dentist.
    Go (and) find another one!

It seems to me that "Let's go sing karaoke this weekend" is, sort of a mix of the two different uses. As an ancient Brit I am more likely to say "Go and boil your head" than "Go boil your head"

Hermione

5. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    Can we say "sing karaoke"? I remember being taught in the past that the correct way of saying it is "sing at the karaoke bar/lounge", and that "sing karaoke" is unidiomatic.

6. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I could not say "sing karaoke".

7. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    No, I would say 'do' karaoke; and I wouldn't say 'let's go do/sing karaoke' in BE.