Hi,
Is this sentence a suggestion?
"Should we go to the movies?"
Is it equal to "Let's go to the movies."
Thanks.
First of all i would like to correct ur word "movies". It should be "movie"
And now according to me,the correct sentence will be:
If you are asking for a movie,"Should we go for the movie?"
And the other sentence is, as if you are suggesting someone for the movie.

• nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    First of all i would like to correct ur word "movies". It should be "movie"
    And now according to me,the correct sentence will be:
    If you are asking for a movie,"Should we go for the movie?"
    And the other sentence is, as if you are suggesting someone for the movie.
    Sorry Maggi, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

"Should we go to the movies?" and "Let's go to the movies" are both extremely common. In these sentence "movies" is being used to mean "cinema": "Let's go to the cinema" or "Should we go to the cinema?"

If you are talking about a specific movie, "Should we go for the movie?" is also incorrect. You don't go for a movie, you go to see a movie. "Should we go to see the movie?"

maggi.82

India, Few Indian Language's
    Sorry Maggi, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

"Should we go to the movies?" and "Let's go to the movies" are both extremely common. In these sentence "movies" is being used to mean "cinema": "Let's go to the cinema" or "Should we go to the cinema?"

If you are talking about a specific movie, "Should we go for the movie?" is also incorrect. You don't go for a movie, you go to see a movie. "Should we go to see the movie?"
    Thankyou for correcting me,but as far as the term movies goes, we here never use s with the word movie,as in you cannot got for more than one movie.
    May be i am wrong, I would like to get your comment on it.

maggi.82

I know the word movie mean, cinema. But still somehow it is not digestable for me, generally S comes when there is more than one thing stands.I am too looking for some other person to comment on it.

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood me.

"Movies" (with an s) means "cinema", or, it means more than one movie.
    "Movie" means a single movie, regardless of where it is (either at the cinema or on the television).

"Movie" does not mean "cinema" without an s.

maggi.82

Okeiii Boss.I must say I get to learn a new word, what else. Actually here in India we just go for cinema and for us film and cinema both are the same. Anyways thankyou for answeting me patiently [:)]

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    No, I'm afraid it's not. As was explained above, "Let's go to the movie" means "Let's go to a specific movie," and it would be used when everybody knows what movie is being discussed. "Let's go to the movies" means "Let's go to the cinema" or "Let's go see a movie, but we aren't sure which one yet."

"Let's go movie" isn't ever used.

< Previous | Next >